In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1en contra dehe's completely anti the scheme — está totalmente en contra del plan
1en contrahe's anti — está en contra
- The report was compiled by a wide spectrum of scientists from both pro and anti lobby groups and was chaired by the government's chief scientist.
- Lots of talk about auditing at the pro page, and the anti page had talk about some man that took over the world 75 million years ago?
- This possibility has seemed so absurd, given the opinion polls, the press and the well-financed and efficiently organised anti campaign, that it has hardly seemed worth raising.
- The prospect of war has roused strong passions, drawing politicians and public figures into pro and anti positions.
- It's almost like the worst moments of the pro / anti debate replayed in microcosm.
- I thought the debate went from the pro argument to the anti argument.
- I do not want this government wasting parliament time on what is an unimportant issue, and if the anti brigade stopped their demos maybe we should have enough police on the streets to deal with the human vermin.
- Helen is frankly public in her dislike of it, though Raenette's vote against the law in parliament means she is still the poster-child for the anti brigade.
- But even in January 1975 the anti campaign still had an 8% edge.
- Too often this debate is polarised into pro and anti camps, and this book does not help in this regard.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.