In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He rejected the idea of an all-out socialist economic system since his days as an anti-apartheid freedom fighter.
- I started going on CND and anti-apartheid demonstrations and bought Socialist Worker for the first time.
- As often in death, his image has been reworked from apartheid collaborator to anti-apartheid freedom fighter.
- This was simply because several members of the club were intending to join a tour to South Africa which would, in the council's view, be contrary to its anti-apartheid policy.
- There are rightly many comparisons made with South African apartheid, particularly the international anti-apartheid campaigns.
- This potential was not realized in the way many anti-apartheid activists had hoped, although in some local organizations it came close.
- There are images of May Day rallies and anti-fascist protests, anti-apartheid protests and peace rallies.
- He was an anti-apartheid activist from an early age.
- He was an infant when Jesse Jackson ran for president and during the anti-apartheid mobilizations of the late 1980s.
- Christopher was on his way home from school when he was caught up in the start of the 1976 anti-apartheid uprising in Cape Town.
- Those roles included being a family man, an anti-apartheid activist, a loyal friend, financial adviser and a businessman.
- It didn't stop CND and anti-apartheid being huge movements.
- She had always been a rebel, turning out for CND and anti-apartheid marches; the hijab was her answer to the values of the fashion industry she had grown up with.
- He was active in the anti-apartheid struggle and became head of the Nelson Mandela Foundation in South Africa.
- The problem is, there needs to be apartheid to start an anti-apartheid movement.
- The black population, I think it is fair to say, regarded all anti-apartheid activity with approval, but not with a great deal of confidence.
- They were taking part in a peaceful commemoration of the Soweto anti-apartheid uprising in South Africa in 1976.
- Student activists have incorporated civil disobedience in both their anti-apartheid and Central America work.
- It was started by a number of us who were involved in the Palestine solidarity movement in South Africa and who have been anti-apartheid activists in the past.
- She was Lisa Williamson, the anti-apartheid and antiracist activist who was one of the most visible student leaders of the day.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.