In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Although seizures are easily controlled with anticonvulsants in some patients, others are refractory to drugs.
- These drugs include corticosteroids, anticonvulsants, antidepressants, local anesthetics, and stimulants.
- Traditionally, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, or other anticonvulsants have been given intravenously, but rectally administered diazepam is now used as an efficacious alternative.
- Other prescription drugs, including tricyclic antidepressants, beta blockers, calcium channel blockers and anticonvulsants, are taken regularly to prevent frequent and disabling migraines.
- Tricyclic antidepressants or anticonvulsants, often given in low dosages, may help to control neuropathic pain.
- The treatment drugs of choice are anticonvulsants and tricyclic antidepressants.
- There are no specific contraindications to using anticonvulsants in combination with antidepressants or analgesics.
- To avoid the adverse effects of giving antiepileptic drugs for prolonged periods, rapidly acting anticonvulsants given only during fever periods have been used in an attempt to reduce the risk of recurrent febrile seizures.
- Recent studies have found that statins may protect against risk of fracture, whereas several anticonvulsants, corticosteroids, and oral anticoagulants may have a moderate effect to reduce bone mineral density.
- The current treatment for bipolar disorder is mood stabilizers such as lithium and anticonvulsants.
- Drugs such as corticosteroids, antidepressants and anticonvulsants can also help to alleviate pain.
- Most children's seizures treated with anticonvulsants are controlled by the first drug selected.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, corticosteroids, anticonvulsants, and antidepressants are the most common classes used.
- Methods of treating postherpetic neuralgia include opioid analgesics, antidepressants and anticonvulsants, but none of these therapies is consistently effective.
- ‘At one point, she was taking 36 tablets a day including five types of anticonvulsants, and steroids’, he said.
- The drug list included all available antidepressants, antianxiety agents, antipsychotics, and anticonvulsants.
- Other drugs, such as local anaesthetics, those that interfere with nerve conduction, and anticonvulsants (drugs used to prevent seizures and convulsions) have been found to reduce symptoms in some people.
- These include, but are not limited to, central nervous system depressants, corticosteroids, anticonvulsants, and cancer chemotherapy agents.
- Stimulants, antidepressants, lithium, anticonvulsants and clonidine have all been used in the treatment of conduct disorder.
- Patients should be encouraged to understand that the onset of action of antidepressants, buspirone and anticonvulsants is not as immediate as that of benzodiazepines.
- Phenobarbital is an anticonvulsant drug that has been used since 1912 and it is still one of the better drugs for this purpose.
- Patients with non-epileptic seizures are often prescribed anticonvulsant drugs because of misdiagnosis of epilepsy, and many have been taking these drugs for some time.
- Women on anticonvulsant medication should be switched to the least teratogenic drug, and the smallest clinically effective dose.
- Changing the dosage of an anticonvulsant drug solely on the basis of a serum drug level is ‘like driving a car looking at the speedometer and not out the window.’
- It became apparent that this must have been due to ingestion of the family dog's anticonvulsant drug.
- If a seizure were building, the external chip would signal the implanted chip to administer anticonvulsant medication or an electrical shock.
- In contrast, only 5 of the children with seizure disorders in the control group regularly took anticonvulsant medication.
- Mega-doses of folic acid can produce convulsions, interfere with the anticonvulsant medication used by epileptics, and disrupt zinc absorption.
- Its safety and efficacy as an anticonvulsant drug given intramuscularly have been shown in several studies in animals and humans (adults and children).
- If an anticonvulsant drug is used, the typical duration of therapy is one year, which represents the period with the highest risk of recurrence.
- Children of mothers with epilepsy have a 4 to 8 percent risk of congenital anomalies, which may be caused by anticonvulsant medication or may be related to an increased genetic risk.
- Patients should be warned of possible side effects of this anticonvulsant medication (eg, nausea, vomiting, headache, diplopia, constipation, confusion, ataxia).
- If the child has fits, they may be prescribed anticonvulsant drugs.
- The patient tolerated the procedure well and was treated postoperatively with antibiotics, steroids, and anticonvulsant medication.
- If satisfactory control is not established within the first three to six months, another anticonvulsant drug should be added, with the eventual goal of eliminating the first agent and achieving monotherapy.
- For decades children were given long term anticonvulsant drugs to prevent the recurrence of febrile seizures.
- Although nearly half the kids received lithium or an anticonvulsant drug to quell manic symptoms, their bipolar condition subsided no more often than that of their unmedicated peers.
- Phenytoin was introduced in 1938 and is still the most widely used anticonvulsant drug, probably because of its nonsedative properties.
- Her eyesight was impaired by glaucoma and she was on anticonvulsant drugs.
- Side-effects of anticonvulsant drugs are usually not serious and are reversible once the dose is reduced or the drug is discontinued.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.