In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The immune system of a human can differentiate more than one million different foreign proteins, or antigens.
- Antibodies are gamma globulins produced by B lymphocytes when antigens enter the body.
- As a result, the patient's immune system would produce antibodies to attack the foreign antigens.
- When the synthetic peptide was used as the antigen, a monoclonal antibody was obtained.
- Immunohistochemistry utilizes antibodies to visualize antigens in sections of tissue under the microscope.
- Antibodies against these five antigens were tested in the sera of all workers and controls.
- Once antibodies have been produced for a particular antigen they tend to remain in the body.
- As described above, it allows antigenic variation in its antigens to evade the host immune system.
- Alternate methods of diagnosing pneumococcal disease are based on the detection of bacterial antigens in body fluids.
- All the conjugated peptides were injected together in white rabbits as antigens for antibody production.
- These cells have the potential to present tumour-specific antigens and thereby induce an immune response.
- The protein acts like an antigen, prompting the immune cells to attack.
- Early risk may suggest a mechanism involving an aberrant immune response to cereal antigens in an immature gut.
- However, the specificity of antibodies for antigens has a bearing on one of the issues in this case, and it is for that reason that I mention it.
- Previous transfusions may sensitize patients to foreign platelet antigens.
- Finally, the target antigens of the locally produced antibodies have not been fully identified.
- We varied the surface density of antigens such that we could study the detachment of either single or multiple bonds.
- A healthy body develops antibodies, which hopefully resist the antigens, by binding on them.
- This is a complicated process involving antigens and antibodies.
- But Jordi found ways, using antigens and antibodies, to figure it out.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.