In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Four decades after the first London to Aldermaston anti-nuclear march, a fresh generation of marchers will follow the same route this Easter.
- If we campaign against any new nuclear power build, and rely on such statements, it might interest the local community and those in the anti-nuclear lobby.
- The country's anti-nuclear policy of the past several decades has very much been tied up with combating the influence of France in the Pacific.
- A massive, official protest in June was followed by a wave of strikes and protests by workers, students, anti-nuclear and anti-fascist protesters.
- An anti-nuclear campaigner from Greenpeace International has visited the Chernobyl site but would not recommend it.
- It brought together veteran anti-nuclear protesters with new people.
- Today my anti-war comrades are taking part in the 4 day anti-nuclear weapons march, from Trafalgar square to the Aldermaston army base.
- The four anti-nuclear campaigners believed nuclear weapons were being held at the Suffolk base and said they tried to get into the base to get photographic evidence.
- Many new anti-nuclear protesters were present, as well as long-term campaigners who were surprised with the success of the blockade.
- There aren't many Lib Dems I'd want, but these are really good people who were involved in an anti-nuclear campaign.
- A large number were veterans of the anti-Vietnam War and anti-nuclear protests, with the vast majority well over the age of 40.
- He says a National government may change New Zealand's anti-nuclear policy without a referendum.
- He refused to pay a fine for breach of the peace during an anti-nuclear weapons protest.
- The anti-nuclear Liberal Democrats have threatened to use their position in the Executive to veto any planning permission for new nuclear plants.
- By 1986, around three quarters of the population supported the nuclear ship ban and anti-nuclear towns and cities sprang up all over.
- The logic of their own arguments will lead the Green leaders to call for the police truncheon and harsher punishment against anti-nuclear activists.
- That should begin with the anti-nuclear mobilisations planned as part of the G8 protests.
- Aldermaston has also been a prominent focus of environmental and anti-nuclear campaigners over many years.
- The British Labour party, for instance, was once the anti-nuclear and unilateral disarmament party.
- This was their most successful anti-nuclear activity to date and surprised anti-nuclear activists all over the world.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.