In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Human science employs somewhat similar procedures to produce what are called antitoxins, protein antibodies, to certain microorganisms.
- Antivenoms and antitoxins can also be administered in this fashion.
- For example, antitoxins, like tetanus antitoxin, are made by injecting horses with a small amount of the toxin so that the animal produces the antibodies.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and some state health departments keep a supply of antitoxin against botulinum toxin.
- Some antibodies are antitoxins, which directly neutralize any toxins secreted by the antigens.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.