In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The colon is removed and the end of the small intestine is joined to the anus.
- The rectum, at the end of the colon, is where faeces collect before they are expelled through the anus as a bowel movement.
- This is one of two muscles that control the opening of the anus.
- The large intestine or large bowel consists of the colon and the section before the anus, the rectum.
- During this procedure, a flexible instrument with its own light, called an endoscope, is passed in through the anus.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.