In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(with negative and implied negative)don't buy any more eggs — no compres más huevos
- we forgot to buy any flowers — nos olvidamos de comprar flores
- aren't there any apples left? — ¿no quedan manzanas?
- I don't have any patience with such people — no tengo ninguna paciencia con ese tipo de gente
- don't make any noise — no hagas ruido
- we forgot to get any coffee — nos olvidamos de comprar café
- try to prevent any trouble — trata de evitar cualquier problema
- didn't he give you any money at all? — ¿no te dio nada de dinero?
- don't take any notice — no le/les hagas caso
- it doesn't make any sense — no tiene ningún sentido
- he didn't leave any telephone number — no nos dejó ningún número de teléfono
- I don't know any Tom Smith — no conozco a ningún Tom Smith
- I didn't say any such thing! — ¡yo no dije tal cosa!
- I don't want you to go, either, but it looks like we don't really have any choice in the matter.
- Not like you had any choice about the matter, packed lunches were banned, so you had to cough up.
- If there were any anomalies, no matter where they were marked, we would be challenging them.
- Have any of you got any hints and tips for me?
- If you've got any of your own tips, feel free to share in the comments section.
- We have not commented here on any of the other matters covered in the Griffiths report.
- None of these people has shown us or referred us to any specific documents in support of the information.
- One in four of those questioned said they did not know nor had any view on the matter.
- We were not asked or given the choice about any of the changes to our contracts of employment.
- They are not making any comment on the matter and are awaiting the referee's report of the incident.
- In this case they've solved a problem without referring to any of their memories.
- He tiptoed around it, trying not to get any of the putrid matter slop onto his fluffy bunny slippers.
- Unless there are any other matters than those which we can address in a memorandum.
- Spink is keen to see any examples of similar notes and will offer a free valuation to anyone who has any.
- They said they could not see any purpose in referring the matter back to the board.
- It's important that you don't hold back any information, no matter how small you may think it is now.
- Again, however, there is no provision for any of these matters to be met out of third party funds.
- Whether or not it should be made available to everyone without any strictures is another matter.
- It is not known if the councils are planning to take any action in the matter at this stage.
- Not that any of that matters, but if these guys mess up again, an awful lot of people are going to get mad.
2(in questions)are there any questions/problems? — ¿alguien tiene alguna pregunta/algún problema?
- does she have any children/brothers or sisters? — ¿tiene hijos/hermanos?
- do you need any help? — ¿necesitas ayuda?
- do you want any more coffee? — ¿quieres más café?
- is she in any danger? — ¿corre (algún) peligro?
- have you had any news? — ¿has tenido alguna noticia?
- is there any chance they'll come? — ¿existe alguna posibilidad de que vengan?
3(in conditional sentences)call me if there are any changes — llámame si hay algún cambio
- if you see any flowers, buy some — si ves flores, compra algunas
- report any accidents to me — infórmeme de cualquier accidente que ocurra
- any more mistakes and she goes — si sigue cometiendo errores / como siga cometiendo errores, se va a tener que ir
- let me know if you have any pain — avíseme si siente dolor
- any rivalry between them soon disappeared — si había existido entre ellos alguna rivalidad, pronto desapareció
- take any money you need — toma el dinero que necesites
- if any lawyer can help you, she can — si hay un abogado que te pueda ayudar, es ella
- any upset could kill him — cualquier disgusto podría matarlo
- any act of disobedience will be punished — toda desobediencia será castigada
- She would always be the first one to raise a class discussion about any topic, in any class.
- At this stage you can whisk or stir in any chosen flavouring such as sweet chilli sauce.
- At the end of the year, more prefects were chosen from my class than from any other.
- She cringed, remembering how Sara had asked her to take notes in any of the classes she would be missing.
- The plug you see below the fitting is the only part of any of these that is visible, and even then is difficult to spot.
- The ruling classes in any country never have at heart the best interests of their subjects.
- Officers have made more arrests for class A offences than any other county division.
- It also expects to be a major beneficiary if any of the current proposals to extend pub hours are made law.
- The Rolling Stones, the Who and Led Zeppelin were liable to drop in at any hour, day or night.
- Mostly though he breaks up the sentences so any fool would know to read them.
- Prior to this illegally parked vehicles were clamped at any hour of the day or night.
- An hour spent with any of those people and you feel like clapping for joy, or asking if you can do it all again.
- Boxing will be in for a treat if any of the class of 2004 show even a flash of their brilliance.
- The work ethic culture has resulted in men working longer hours than in any other European country.
- Math always came easy to me, so I really don't ever have to pay attention in any math class.
- Second, there is more material to be taught in any given class than there is time to teach it.
- Gentility and respectability are the last things people of any class wish to symbolise now.
- He said that any fool could bet on a busted flush in poker, or swear that black is white, but that isn't a classic lie.
- He is a world class player and any team would benefit from having him in the side.
- They'll be able to advise you on any parts of the class that are now unsuitable.
4(no matter which)take any book you want — llévate cualquier libro / el libro que quieras
- take any books you want — llévate los libros que quieras
- pick a card, any card at all — elige una carta cualquiera
- take any three for the price of two — llévese tres a su elección por el precio de dos
- any one of them could be the murderer — cualquiera de ellos podría ser el asesino
- it could be for any one of the following reasons — podría ser por cualquiera de las siguientes razones
- it's true; ask any doctor — es verdad; pregúntale a cualquier médico
- call me any time — llámame cuando quieras
- thanks a lot! — any time! — ¡muchas gracias! — ¡de nada!
- they should arrive any day now — deberían llegar cualquier día de estos
- any minute now he'll start shouting — ahora nomás se pone a gritar
5(every, all)any other firm would have fired them — en cualquier otra empresa los hubieran echado
- in any large school, you'll find that ... — en cualquier / todo colegio grande, verás que ...
- I wouldn't consider it under any circumstances — no lo consideraría bajo ningún concepto
6(ordinary, typical)cualquierit looks like any London street — se parece a cualquier calle de Londres
7(countless, a lot)any number/amount of sth — cualquier cantidad de algo
1algunoalgunathose chocolates were nice, are there any left? — ¡qué ricos esos bombones! ¿queda alguno?
- have you read any of her other books? — ¿has leído alguno de sus otros libros / algún otro de sus libros?
- is / are any of you familiar with the procedure? — ¿alguno de ustedes está familiarizado con el trámite?
2we need sugar; did you buy any? — nos hace falta azúcar ¿compraste?
- is there any of that cake left? — ¿queda algo de ese pastel?
3buy some red ones if you can find any — compra algunas rojas si encuentras
- the advantages, if any, are marginal — las ventajas, si (es que) las hay, son marginales
- if any of my friends calls, take a message — si llama alguno de mis amigos, toma el recado
4help yourself to cake if you want any — sírvete pastel si quieres
- if any of the meat is contaminated — si hay carne contaminada
5some children were here — I didn't see any — aquí había algunos niños — yo no vi (a) ninguno / no los vi
- you'll have to go without cigarettes; I forgot to buy any — te vas a tener que arreglar sin cigarrillos porque me olvidé de comprar
- I didn't see any of those films/your friends — no vi ninguna de esas películas/a ninguno de tus amigos
6she offered me some wine, but I didn't want any — me ofreció vino, pero no quise
- I didn't understand any of that lecture — no entendí nada de esa conferencia
7(no matter which)which would you like? — any will do — ¿cuál quieres? — cualquiera (sirve)
- you could win any of these prizes — podrías ganar cualquiera de estos premios
- this one is better than any I've seen before — este es el mejor de los que he visto hasta ahora
1do you feel any better now? — ¿te sientes (algo) mejor ahora?
- if I stay here any longer, I'll go mad — si me quedo aquí un minuto más, me voy a volver loca
- I can't stand it any longer — no lo soporto más
- things aren't any better in the new house — las cosas no andan (nada) mejor en la nueva casa
- they don't live here any more — ya no viven aquí
2US(at all)have you thought about it any since then? — ¿has pensado en ello desde entonces?
- it doesn't seem to have affected him any — no parece haberlo afectado en absoluto / (para) nada
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.