In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(something)algoanything missing? — ¿falta algo?
- anything wrong? — ¿pasa algo?
- anything here you fancy? — ¿hay aquí algo que te guste?
- anything else? — ¿algo más?
- do you want anything from the shop? — ¿quieres algo de la tienda?
- have you seen anything of Dick lately? — ¿has visto a Dick últimamente?
- have you ever heard anything so ridiculous? — ¡habráse oído semejante ridiculez!
- is there anything you don't understand? — ¿hay algo que no entiendas?
- if anything goes wrong — si algo sale mal
- this will persuade her if anything will — si hay algo que la pueda convencer, es esto
- if you say anything more, I shall scream — como digas una palabra más, me da un ataque
- if anything, he seemed slightly worse — en todo caso, parecía que estaba algo peor
- what, if anything, ought we to do? — ¿qué deberíamos hacer, si es que deberíamos hacer algo?
- get professional advice before you do anything — antes de hacer nada, asesórate con un profesional
- before anything is decided — antes de decidir nada
- The truth of the matter is there isn't anything in the gift line that I want, let alone need.
- Nobody said anything though, and it may have just been dismissed as a jokey comment.
- It is unbelievable that Labour should be doing this and nobody says anything about it.
- He had no convictions for anything of a similar nature.
- With so many exciting projects and prospects, is there anything he would wish for?
- Yes it was a good technology, but nobody cared enough about it to write anything for it.
- That division is a matter of our linguistic systems and not anything about knowledge.
- Fill them out with examples drawn from your texts and analyse anything that you quote or refer to.
- The thug then warned her to stay in the office and not to do anything for 10 minutes.
- We are left wondering whether they had anything more to offer than tea and sympathy.
- Suddenly, neither of us had anything to say to one another aside from the matter in hand.
- They both got in touch and asked us for demos, but we never heard anything back.
- Anyone who can remember anything that may help police are asked to come forward.
- The issue is whether we have any power or duty to do anything about the situation which has arisen.
- The Government is getting more revenue but in return the public is not getting anything.
- I do not know whether there is anything else that you might be able to assist us on?
- A man walked up to the elderly woman and without saying anything started punching her.
- The owner threatened to scream and the two men left the property without taking anything.
- The question is no longer whether to buy this or that, it is whether to buy anything at all.
- There was no time to assess whether anything was stolen or the extent of the damage.
1.2(a single thing)nadadon't say anything! — ¡no digas nada!
- she hadn't had anything to eat — no había comido nada
- I can't think of anything to buy him — no se me ocurre nada que comprarle
- hardly anything — casi nada
- without saying anything — sin decir nada
2.1(whatever)she loves anything that has almonds in it — le encanta todo lo que lleve almendras
- anything you like — lo que prefieras
- anything you say! — ¡lo que tú digas!
- we'll do anything we can to help — haremos todo lo que podamos para ayudar
- this interests me more than anything else — esto me interesa más que cualquier otra cosa
- more out of fear than anything else — más por miedo que por (cualquier) otra cosa
- anything urgent should be brought to my attention immediately — se me debe informar inmediatamente de cualquier caso (or problema etc.) urgente
- don't attempt anything too demanding — no intentes hacer nada que te exija demasiado
- anything over 10,000 words is too long — si es de más de 10.000 palabras, es demasiado largo
- she could be in hospital for anything up to three weeks — puede que tenga que quedarse hasta tres semanas en el hospital
2.2(no matter what)I need something to write on: anything will do — necesito algo donde escribir: cualquier cosa sirve
- anything is possible — todo es posible
- anything could happen — podría pasar cualquier cosa
- I'll try anything once — estoy siempre dispuesto a probar cosas nuevas
- I'd do anything for you — haría lo que fuera / cualquier cosa por ti
- he eats anything — come de todo
- anything for a change — lo que sea, con tal de cambiar
- I wouldn't do that for anything — no haría eso por nada del mundo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.