In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Moving through the boys, Mike made quiet greetings with his relatives in Spanish, English, and Apache.
- Tracking and awareness are the same word in Apache.
- Regarding Apache language ability, most (95%) respondents 40 years of age and over speak Apache, compared to 41% of respondents age 39 and under; 88% of those 30 years and over speak Apache compared to 28% of those under 30.
- I do not speak Apache fluently, but I think I have a fairly good grasp of some aspects of it.
- He even said two Apache elders had been invited to help to translate passages of the script into Apache.
- We learned about the Apaches but not the Tohono O'odham; we heard a great deal about the Lakotas but nothing about the Walapais.
- Presumably the dioramas are referring to a different population, not the Apaches who shot at Rulfo's hero.
- Ironically, Mowa Choctaw culture intersected with that of an even more famous group of dispossessed peoples, the Apaches.
- Scholars at one time assumed that the arrival of the Apaches and Navajos played a role in the abandonment of those ancient centers of civilization.
- The imprints of the tribes such as the Navajo, Apache, Hopi and Zuni are visible on the land of Southwest.
- The white men who first encountered the Apaches incorrectly looked upon the Apaches as devil worshipers.
- Historically recorded groups include Apaches, Comanches, Kickapoos, and Kiowas.
- Perched high on an escarpment above the Cibolo creek floodplain, this area was once an important hunting area for Apache and later the Comanche peoples.
- When Geronimo surrendered, a small group of Apaches escaped to the Sierra Madre of northern Mexico.
- John Wayne plays Captain Kirby York, an experienced frontier officer who clashes with Fonda over the treatment of the Apaches.
- Missing from most historical accounts in Mexico and the US is how Apaches and Yoemem were forced to engage in struggles for survival.
- After a bitter internal struggle the Apaches turned down the deal.
- Students turn their attention to the study of American Indian tribes, including the Hopi, Navajo, Apache and others.
- The US has hundreds of tribes of Native Americans, from the larger and familiar names of Apache, Sioux, Cherokee and Mohicans to the smaller and lesser-known Catawba, Kalispel and Quapaw.
- The last holdouts were the Apaches of Arizona and New Mexico.
- The Piper Geronimo conversion isn't totally confined to the original Apaches.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.