In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Zoologysimio masculinemono masculinethe great apes — los antropomorfos
- He obviously has great love for the apes and monkeys he's known, and his pictures and anecdotes invite the reader to feel, rightly, that primates are members of our own extended family.
- In fact, Huxley argued, a human differs much less from an ape, such as a chimpanzee or gorilla, than an ape does from a baboon.
- Displays of deep caring and empathy across the generations are common in gorillas, and in the other African apes (chimpanzees and bonobos) as well.
- The London zoo has an extensive collection of birds, small mammals, bears and hippos, and apes and monkeys.
- Chimpanzees and other apes have historically been separated from humans in classification schemes, with humans deemed the only living members of the hominid family of species.
- Barbary apes live in Morocco and north Algeria.
- Safari World's general manager insists that all his apes were acquired through the proper channels, or bred in captivity.
- Some apes, such as gorillas, showed no self-recognition whatsoever.
- Sometimes it's as interesting to study primate researchers as it is to study the apes, baboons, and monkeys.
- Chimpanzees, gorillas and orang-utans are all different species of apes.
- Most experts believe the unusual band of apes are giant chimpanzees that display gorilla-like behavior.
- Fermenting fruit (high in sugars and calories) can be a significant source of energy for monkeys and apes.
- Previous animal work with apes, dolphins, and parrots followed the experimental control paradigm.
- After all, our two species are different, no matter how anthropomorphic the apes from the advert appeared.
- Orangutans are big apes, adult males can weigh over 80 kilograms and spend about 80% of their waking hours feeding their bulk.
- Mother apes - chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans, humans - dote on their babies.
- ‘There was talk of computer generated apes,’ he reports.
- Like humans, apes and monkeys have to live in complex social groupings in which guile is needed to get ahead or simply to survive.
- Humans share more than 98 percent of their DNA with chimpanzees, making the ape the closest living relative to Homo sapiens.
- There are UK warships at harbour here, and off duty squaddies roaring around the streets on mopeds, but what we really came to see is apes, Barbary Apes.
- Generally all the apes are endangered and vulnerable.
- Scientists believe that the two branches of primates - apes and humans - diverged five to eight million years ago and evolved along separate paths.
- Gorillas are the largest and most powerful of the apes.
- However, the real stars of this circus are the animals, which include nine tigers, three lions, five bears, six apes, four horses and some 20 dogs of various species.
- Nearly 25 species of apes, monkeys, lemurs, and other primates are imperilled and may soon disappear.
- We already know that monkeys and apes have remarkable levels of intelligence.
- In the past year alone, numerous studies have highlighted our remarkable likeness not only to chimps, but to monkeys and apes of all kinds.
- The Celebes Crested Macaque (Macaca nigra) is also known as the Crested Black Macaque, Sulawesi Crested Macaque, or the Black 'Ape'.
- Like other primates, these apes exhibit humanlike qualities - from careful parenting to the use of tools.
- You seem to be wary of anthropomorphising apes.
- Some scientists, he said, believe that even apes lack this capability.
2informal(uncouth person)bruto masculine informalbruta feminine informalanimal masculine informalyou great ape! — ¡pedazo de bruto / animal! informal
- Parker and his pal see people as, more or less, apes: dumb simians driven by instinct to act like total and utter idiots.
- If so why is she drooling over this ape of a man who is so Neanderthal, he can't string more than two words together.
- The million or so who voted for the party last year aren't all knuckle-dragging racist apes.
- Comparing primates to humans makes apes of us all.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.