In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Not surprisingly, the roots have a reputation as a powerful aphrodisiac.
- This vegetarian food is laced with aphrodisiacs.
- Many people believe in the power of chocolate as an aphrodisiac, while others swear by a certain perfume or cologne to ignite desire in the sought-after other.
- For example, alcohol is commonly viewed as an aphrodisiac that increases sexual desire and capacity.
- So just what is it that causes some foods to be labeled as aphrodisiacs?
- While not an aphrodisiac, this medication has been reported to increase interest in sex as well as arousal.
- The leaves can be made into a tea or stewed, for use as an aphrodisiac.
- The Chinese consider some mushrooms to be aphrodisiacs.
- In spite of its name, it is neither a stimulant nor an aphrodisiac.
- Their flavours include chocolate, cardamom and ginger - all aphrodisiacs.
- The meal was vegetarian and lacked most spices, since certain foods are mild aphrodisiacs and monks supposedly lead celibate lives.
- Cocoa's stimulative effect - it was once regarded as an aphrodisiac - comes from some of the chemicals in the cocoa bean.
- In the 17th century royals at Hampton Court drank it and ate it in vast quantities, believing it to be a powerful African aphrodisiac and hangover cure.
- One question - is chocolate really an aphrodisiac?
- Thousands of years ago, saffron was an expensive and aromatic spice use by ancient Egyptians, Romans, and Greeks as an aphrodisiac.
- Lettuce was believed to be a powerful aphrodisiac.
- Poaching continues, however, partly because many Mexican men believe sea turtle eggs, eaten raw with a pinch of lime and salt, are aphrodisiacs.
- When it comes to traditional restorative products and aphrodisiacs many pills and potions bare little in common with their label.
- Whether these foods are actually aphrodisiacs is debatable.
- Oysters are always thought of as the ultimate aphrodisiac.
- In the past, some local residents poached sea turtle eggs to sell in the lucrative black market for their supposed magical and aphrodisiac powers.
- The sea cucumber is reputed to have aphrodisiac qualities.
- By now she knows exactly the aphrodisiac effect she has on men.
- Many people have found that alcohol has aphrodisiac qualities, even if it occasionally dampens the ability to follow through.
- Many readers, however, will no doubt be disappointed to discover that from the scientist's point of view there is no aphrodisiac food.
- Perfumes are often used like pheromones, for that aphrodisiac effect.
- But the one idea that was really interesting was the aphrodisiac gas.
- What do you already know about aphrodisiac herbs?
- The ancient Aztecs thought avocado was a sexual stimulant and therefore treated it as forbidden fruit, and there are still many today who believe it has aphrodisiac properties.
- Most of these foods are believed to have aphrodisiac qualities because of their smell, taste or appearance.
- It is a remarkable work giving detailed instructions of erotic technique and aphrodisiac recipes and charms.
- Reputed to have aphrodisiac qualities, the plant resembles fennel, and used to be collected for sale at London markets.
- Chocolate is reported to have aphrodisiac properties, releasing similar chemicals to that of a love affair when eaten.
- At that point, I really couldn't tell if the aphrodisiac effect had kicked in.
- Declassified documents reveal the Pentagon toyed with the idea of an aphrodisiac chemical weapon in 1994.
- Researchers in 1998 found that a blend of liquorice and cucumber was the most effective aphrodisiac aroma for women
- But it is also very popular because it is thought to have aphrodisiac properties.
- Whatever their aphrodisiac qualities, oats or porridge have real nutritional value.
- Among many of its healing effects, its aphrodisiac quality has been successfully documented and appreciated for thousands of years.
- When used traditionally in aphrodisiac recipes, they were often combined with herbs such as cinnamon, nutmeg, peppers and onions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.