In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Whether these foods are actually aphrodisiacs is debatable.
- The meal was vegetarian and lacked most spices, since certain foods are mild aphrodisiacs and monks supposedly lead celibate lives.
- This vegetarian food is laced with aphrodisiacs.
- The Chinese consider some mushrooms to be aphrodisiacs.
- Lettuce was believed to be a powerful aphrodisiac.
- Many people believe in the power of chocolate as an aphrodisiac, while others swear by a certain perfume or cologne to ignite desire in the sought-after other.
- The leaves can be made into a tea or stewed, for use as an aphrodisiac.
- Not surprisingly, the roots have a reputation as a powerful aphrodisiac.
- Their flavours include chocolate, cardamom and ginger - all aphrodisiacs.
- While not an aphrodisiac, this medication has been reported to increase interest in sex as well as arousal.
- Oysters are always thought of as the ultimate aphrodisiac.
- So just what is it that causes some foods to be labeled as aphrodisiacs?
- Cocoa's stimulative effect - it was once regarded as an aphrodisiac - comes from some of the chemicals in the cocoa bean.
- In the 17th century royals at Hampton Court drank it and ate it in vast quantities, believing it to be a powerful African aphrodisiac and hangover cure.
- Poaching continues, however, partly because many Mexican men believe sea turtle eggs, eaten raw with a pinch of lime and salt, are aphrodisiacs.
- In spite of its name, it is neither a stimulant nor an aphrodisiac.
- Thousands of years ago, saffron was an expensive and aromatic spice use by ancient Egyptians, Romans, and Greeks as an aphrodisiac.
- When it comes to traditional restorative products and aphrodisiacs many pills and potions bare little in common with their label.
- For example, alcohol is commonly viewed as an aphrodisiac that increases sexual desire and capacity.
- One question - is chocolate really an aphrodisiac?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.