In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Biblethe Apocalypse — el Apocalipsis
- It is important to realise that the earthquake was not a total apocalypse.
- Over the years, peace activism has grown stronger and more vocal, thus reducing chances of any man-made apocalypses.
- More pertinently, the pair have a way of pinpointing, with unerring accuracy, the simple poignant moments in life: personal and global apocalypses are all part of the parcel.
- Science treasures its own apocalypses, but the writer claims that the modern environmental movement lacks a sense of redemption and is therefore destined to remain in the political margins.
- The day we have a low tide during which sea doesn't ‘recede’ is the day of a serious apocalypse.
- In his greed for world domination he has initiated the very apocalypse he sought to avoid.
- These modernist writers wrote at what they took to be a moment of transition, between two apocalypses, one historical - and thus merely destructive - and one to be imagined.
- As ever, Roth has the ability to suggest a vast historical catastrophe through the tiny apocalypses of ordinary life, which he renders with all of Baudelaire's poetic acuity.
- People's worlds end all the time; lots of people have personal apocalypses on a daily basis.
- But no matter what further compromise is reached, some will still regard it as the apocalypse.
- It is perhaps apocalyptic only in its contiguity with the chaos of actual war and the apocalypse of the First World War.
- It was the nearest thing to an apocalypse Europe has ever seen, Simon says.
- The Guardian has noted the floods and the fuel crisis, and is asking Can You Survive the British Apocalypse?
- It is very difficult to sum up in a few phrases the kind of apocalypses that this country is facing.
- Later, it describes the survivors of a nuclear apocalypse and the last flight of death over the scorched land.
- They say an apocalypse is coming and, after so much destruction, many suspect it has already started.
- While monsters, anti-Christs, and the Virgin herself appeared in the countryside, apocalypses were prophesied in capitals.
- How could the legal owners of this stuff perceive file sharing as anything other than an apocalypse for their business?
- That was the food supply on which we were going to subsist after the apocalypse.
- We must maintain our visions, prophesy hope, and remain faithful and committed to the struggle, even and especially when facing so many daily apocalypses and forms of death.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.