In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Also, the public service used to be apolitical, but I am afraid we cannot say that today.
- The population is very apolitical, except for the nationalists.
- The apolitical civil service has been relied on for the day-to-day running of the territory's government.
- It's very easy in the United States or any of the parliamentary democracies to live an apolitical life.
- This means that the monarchy is apolitical and impartial.
- Surely, we all know one person who doesn't usually vote, an apolitical type who isn't interested.
- Scientists are often seen as apolitical people living in ivory towers.
- For years, he was regarded as apolitical; almost wilfully apolitical.
- As far as I can determine, he is a relatively apolitical liberal of some sort.
- Even films that purport to be bland or apolitical are political in their intentions.
- If high politics often seems strangely apolitical, everyday life is extraordinarily politicised.
- We spent the next few minutes talking about the sad state of the nation and about how many apolitical older folk are now taking a stand.
- It's a quick, cheap, fun read that's entertaining and slyly apolitical.
- Technology seems to interest them little and their stance is apolitical.
- We are an apolitical organisation, with our headquarters in Delhi.
- Now, mayors are pretty apolitical and do not get angry very often.
- But his actions since his election have been far from apolitical.
- In my opening comments I said that I hoped biosecurity would be treated seriously and in a more apolitical way.
- It means abandoning the idea that judges can ever be reliably apolitical.
- Though originally avowed as apolitical, politics keeps intruding in these pages.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.