In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It means abandoning the idea that judges can ever be reliably apolitical.
- Surely, we all know one person who doesn't usually vote, an apolitical type who isn't interested.
- Technology seems to interest them little and their stance is apolitical.
- Also, the public service used to be apolitical, but I am afraid we cannot say that today.
- The population is very apolitical, except for the nationalists.
- We spent the next few minutes talking about the sad state of the nation and about how many apolitical older folk are now taking a stand.
- In my opening comments I said that I hoped biosecurity would be treated seriously and in a more apolitical way.
- As far as I can determine, he is a relatively apolitical liberal of some sort.
- If high politics often seems strangely apolitical, everyday life is extraordinarily politicised.
- We are an apolitical organisation, with our headquarters in Delhi.
- This means that the monarchy is apolitical and impartial.
- For years, he was regarded as apolitical; almost wilfully apolitical.
- Though originally avowed as apolitical, politics keeps intruding in these pages.
- It's a quick, cheap, fun read that's entertaining and slyly apolitical.
- The apolitical civil service has been relied on for the day-to-day running of the territory's government.
- It's very easy in the United States or any of the parliamentary democracies to live an apolitical life.
- Now, mayors are pretty apolitical and do not get angry very often.
- Even films that purport to be bland or apolitical are political in their intentions.
- Scientists are often seen as apolitical people living in ivory towers.
- But his actions since his election have been far from apolitical.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.