In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- His martyrdom is the first - and only one - among the Apostles to be recorded in Scripture.
- Someone is working their way through the twelve Apostles.
- He compares each of Francis's early companions to one of the twelve Apostles.
- The original twelve Apostles had all known Jesus in the flesh on earth, and had seen him in the flesh after his resurrection.
- The Bible claims to be a reliable historical record and this history from the very beginning was attested to by Christ and the Apostles.
- We're still feeling the fallout from the last time we got all excited about an archaeological link to the early apostles.
- The Apostles of the Lamb had little to say about Hell or Heaven.
- He had to come and defend his teaching as an apostle of Jesus Christ among those churches.
- After capitulating before a vicious reign of terror, the Apostle confesses to Mary and promptly rounds a corner on his way to becoming a rock of the Church.
- In the apostolic era many women are mentioned as apostles, leaders of house churches, prophets, deacons, and so on.
- Shortly after Jesus ascended to heaven, he made a promise to the Apostles we read in Acts 1: 8.
- Those who represent the Pentecostal movement say that missionaries function as apostles.
- Bishops today are thought to be the successors of the Apostles.
- Did the church, prior to the death of the last Apostle come to possess ‘all the truth’?
- She, too, felt multiple calls; indeed, she felt all calls at once: ‘I feel the vocation of the warrior, the priest, the apostle, the doctor, the martyr,’ she wrote.
- The apostles (‘sent ones’ / missionaries) were people who cared.
- At the last supper, Jesus Christ tells the Apostles: ‘Now I'm going to turn the water into wine.’
- He taught that the Church had become corrupt from the very beginning, and that the Apostles had failed to carry out the Lord's commission.
- Their assigned roles as Christ, Apostles and Mary Magdalene, begin to affect their daily lives.
- And so, because these early apostles were open to the Spirit, Christianity came to Europe.
- We reject and condemn these errors and all others that contradict and contravene the above doctrine as being contrary to the pure Word of God, the writings of the holy prophets and apostles, and our Christian Creed and Confession.
- This is evident in the lives of the prophets, John the Baptist, the Apostles and the Lord Jesus Christ himself.
- The apostles and teachers of the church are entrusted with these tasks, and so to them Catholics should look first for guidance about how they are to live their lives.
- Christ, the Virgin Mary, the Apostles, saints, angels and religious events are depicted.
- According to tradition, in the first century the apostle Thomas evangelized the region on his way to India.
- But this is on the condition, and only on the condition, that we are walking in the light of His will, keeping the commandments of Christ and His Apostles.
- Then there was the missionary apostle represented by Paul.
- So the apostle unveils Christ as Lord and unlocks the truth of Scripture, and lives a credible godly life in his ministry.
- Eighteen ornate towers represent the Apostles, Evangelists, Jesus and Mary.
- In an age of cinema that favours familiarity, remake and rehash, this director remains one of the few remaining apostles of the pioneer spirit.
- We Americans are apostles of the Fast World, the prophets of the free market and high priest of high tech.
- Some readers think he's a demonic force for mediocrity, others believe he's an apostle of decent design for the masses.
- He was an saintly apostle of peace, love and unity and a great poet.
- In order to rise to power, the shrewd chieftain of the Fascists did not hesitate to play the role of the apostle of free enterprise, advocating the immediate dismantling of all forms of wartime planning of economic activities.
- Greek and Latin signified far more than our modern apostles of ‘relevance’ will allow.
- We no longer have to take the apostles of the new economy the least bit seriously.
- While the idea of human improvement may be implicit in notions of renaissance, he was anything but an apostle of the idea of progress.
- The yuppie apostles of the ‘new economy’ will also be humbled by a plunging stock market.
- One was an apostle of selfless love; the other presided over the Me Decade.
- Even the apostles of the free market believe that our impact on nature has increased dramatically in the twentieth century (they just think it does not matter).
- He said the incident should be an eye opener to the apostles of democracy.
- Worldwide, however, the paradox of his life and works persists as even the most stringent apostles of musical progress champion his music for its harmonic invention.
- Again, totalitarianism has an almost irresistible allure - it moves people - by reason of the emotional and essentially religious spirit which its leading apostles have infused into it.
- It suggests that the apostles of understanding are caught between two places.
- The apostles of the New Economy declared the irrelevance of everything invented before the Internet, and of any skills other than their own.
- You were an apostle of peace and an advocate of humanity and human dignity.
- It is not fashionable these days, in a world in which the apostles of the free market hold sway, to cite Karl Marx, who has long since been demonized in the cathedrals of capitalism.
- That is the point of his often quoted dictum: ‘The men of culture are the true apostles of equality.’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.