In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1boticario masculine datedboticaria feminine dated
- Glass bottles at this time were used by apothecaries rather than wine merchants, although the wines produced around Florence were sometimes transported in fiaschi wrapped in straw.
- The growing presence of everyday medical practitioners, like apothecaries and druggists, made magic obsolete.
- Apothecary planes were used by pharmacists or apothecaries to cut botanical materials into medically usable sizes.
- So even if you don't want to be a pharmacist or an apothecary, even if you're just taking Advanced because your parents made you, this is a good lesson for all of you.
- The purpose of the Medical Society of London was to provide a meeting place and forum for physicians, surgeons, and apothecaries to present papers and patients and to discuss matters of interest.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.