In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If density is the soul of the city, this is its spiritual or, better, commercial apotheosis.
- Theories of its origin aside though, it should be noted that few modern scholars treat this account of his apotheosis seriously.
- His famous objection to the apotheosis of the bald eagle as the new nation's symbol is characteristic.
- More important, allegory was deemed the best vehicle for representing apotheosis, the painter's access to immortal status, an idea integral to the project from the start.
- Beginning with the presidential campaign of 1864 and ending with his shocking assassination, Lincoln's ability to master the daunting affairs of state during the final nine months of his life proved critical to his apotheosis as savior and saint of the nation.
2literary(extreme manifestation)súmmum masculinequintaesencia feminine
- Is 22 the apotheosis of world-weary sophistication?
- William Blake's engravings at the end of his career are the apotheosis of engraving as a creative linear technique.
- For many, this record is the apotheosis of musical genius.
- I have long sung his praises but his work on this play, a work he admits in a programme note is close to his heart, must rank as the apotheosis of his career so far, though I have to say I tremble as to what he will present us with next year.
- This is the supreme apotheosis of the oxymoron.
- The ordinariness of their lives interested me most of all, as if in the quotidian of genius my own humdrum days might find their apotheosis.
- In the realm of modern pop, it achieved a level of perfection that made it the apotheosis of its form.
- ‘It was certainly the most satisfying moment of my life,’ he said later, the apotheosis of a career which had many highs and indelible lows.
- The apotheosis is not only musicians who can't play music, but singers who cannot sing - but I won't get into that.
- It seemed like every junior political appointee in every agency understood that his or her primary job was to extol his/her boss - the director, secretary or president - as the apotheosis of human virtue and wisdom.
- I don't believe, I never did actually, in the great apotheosis where everything collapses in one night you know, as the French says, ‘Le Grand Soir,’ the great evening.
- The real issue underlying, however, is the apotheosis of subjective freedom which both sides in the argument assume - for even the return to a natural ethic of family life must be a matter of individual ‘choice’.
- It's the apotheosis of the junk-yard-thrown-at-the-wall, but there aren't any pitchforks or old license plates; nothing but painted tin signs and restored neon.
- Was its brief stretch in the spotlight - two years from surfacing in Seattle to its apotheosis at Genoa - simply a passing fad, and its youthful, mainly middle-class army of protesters yesterday's children?
- The ideology of the social reaches its apotheosis in the postmodern valorization of ‘Identity,’ and this paper seeks to show how the gated community is a concrete manifestation of this process.
- Theme park rides are the apotheosis of theater.
- It's the apotheosis of frightening government power - the ability to take people away and lock them up without anyone knowing exactly who or precisely why.
- Yet, if the professionalisation of politics is creating a narrower, more identikit type of politician, surely we see its apotheosis in the homogeneity of the Scottish parliament.
- Finally, the urge to challenge any and all boundaries, no matter how unchangeable, finds its apotheosis in the repeated scenes of cast members hurtling themselves headlong into walls.
- After the worldwide youth movement of the 1960's reached its apotheosis, it sounded quite good to have some ‘grown-ups in charge.’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.