In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Throughout history there have been reports of ghosts, apparitions and spiritual visitations, both angelic and demonic.
- These ghostly floating apparitions ranged from a pristine white - though more often dirtied by lava sand - to the most incredibly deep inky blue.
- He seeks to understand the truth behind the stories of good and bad angels, magic, apparitions, vampires, witchcraft, possession by demons, and the dead who come back to life.
- These paintings harbour a menagerie of folk-monsters, a phantasmagoria of apparitions that might be beatific angels or might be ghoulish extraterrestrials.
- The use of the supernatural in the witches, the visions, the ghost, and the apparitions is a key element in making the concept of the play work and in making the play interesting.
- So, basically, I spent every Saturday for about a year in the NY library researching ghosts, apparitions, synchronicity, paranormal and parapsychology.
- For those who drove at night a ghostly apparition would sometimes cross their headlight beam, turning towards them its own glaring headlights.
- Ghoulish apparitions and spooky spectres are being put under the spotlight at a York tourist attraction.
- They thought He was a ghost, a phantasm, an apparition, a spirit, anything except their Master.
- In the case of apparitions, or true ghosts, it's the idea of the human consciousness surviving the death of the body and sticking around and somehow being capable of communicating or interacting with us.
- The scares come from things that go bump in the night rather than from ghostly apparitions making visitations.
- In front of him stood five ghostly apparitions.
- Miranda, not her, but a ghostly apparition of what she was, rose up on the roof of the car.
- The city was full of Undead - everything from animated skeletons to ghostly apparitions, and zombies.
- His eyes, lazy a second ago, stared at me wildly as if I was a ghost, an apparition.
- Unless I am establishing an alibi or there are ghostly apparitions hovering next to me, I'm not too bothered at seeing pictures of myself somewhere, but of course I'm too polite to say anything.
- At this point, you have come to believe that you have a haunted house with bumps, rappings, ghostly footsteps and even apparitions that roam the hallways.
- Some ten per cent of the population claim to have seen a ghost or some other apparition that seems completely invisible to others.
- She became a shadow of her former self, like a ghost, an apparition that makes the same trip every day unable to finish it, bound to start it all over again.
- The ghosts aren't malignant apparitions; they're special effects.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.