In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(coming into view)aparición feminineit was her first appearance on the stage — fue su debut en las tablas
- cast in order of appearance — reparto en / por orden de aparición
- she made a personal appearance — apareció en persona
- she made an unexpected appearance at the party — apareció / se presentó inesperadamente en la fiesta
- to put in an appearance — hacer acto de presencia
- One jarring element was the sudden appearance of guns towards the end of the play, when previously swords were the order of the day.
- In our sleepy little town where things moved with the soporific gait of undersea vegetation, high fashion made its startling appearance all of a sudden!
- Max opened his mouth to try to smooth it over, but was cut off by the sudden appearance of five burly men blowing through the door to his right, obviously on their way out.
- There were previously unheard of projects and homework that made a sudden appearance this morning.
- The disguise serves him while extorting information from a bank officer, then he uses it to deceive his nemesis if he puts in a sudden appearance.
- Her eyes opened at this statement, and her beautiful smile made a sudden appearance.
- Kat hadn't realized that she had arrived home, and was shocked at her sudden appearance.
- The only fun she had that day was running through the newsroom, startling my colleagues with her sudden appearance at their desks.
- The sudden appearance of a foot in front of my face pulled a scream from my throat and the raiders wasted no time in grabbing me and dragging me into the open.
- The whole scene of a sudden appearance of people had obviously been witnessed by quite a few others.
- After the deed is done, the time has arrived for the appearance of the detective.
- Her overly cool voice sailed into the kitchen, announcing her appearance moments before she arrived.
- The lack of, and in certain cases, the complete absence of gender equality in our own homes makes its visible appearance in our daily routine.
- I asked with as nonchalant a tone as I could muster, as he jumped angrily at my sudden appearance.
- Many were killed because a rope might break or because a climber could be startled by the sudden appearance of a furious bird.
- Groupers hurried away to dark corners and a map angelfish put in a sudden appearance from behind a winch.
- The house has sparked to life with the sudden appearance of Graham, home on an impromptu break.
- The life of two brothers is shattered by the sudden appearance of their father, who they know only from a 10-year-old photograph.
- It wasn't the sudden appearance of the cliff, just the fact of being lost.
- His sudden appearances, like the one today, prompted her to accuse him on stalking.
1.2Lawcomparecencia femininea court appearance — una comparecencia ante el tribunal
- to make an appearance in court — comparecer ante el tribunal
- Since then she has been making regular television and radio appearances and is regularly hired for public speaking.
- His list of film appearances and co-stars is impressive.
- Yet there was the Queen of spin herself, backing the party's credentials by making a cameo appearance on our television screens dressed as a tea lady.
- It's just about what happens in the studio or in public appearances.
- Granted, security is a big concern whenever the president makes a public appearance.
- In fact, he has supplemented his income by making appearances where he performed magic tricks.
- Personally, I did a lot of public appearances at the weekends.
- There have been few public appearances and no address to the nation on state television.
- His plans include satisfying the public's desire to see the car by allowing it to make appearances at events and shows throughout the UK.
- Like it or not, his role requires some public appearances at important events.
- The pair are rarely pictured together and avoid joint appearances at public events.
- And with more TV appearances likely, it appears the runaway bride is not going away any time soon.
- Television appearances, charity events and photo-shoots have often crowded her schedule.
- In 1818 his orchestral compositions began to make occasional appearances at public concerts.
- His public appearances are often jobs for the riot squads.
- Performances have also included appearances on both the big and the small screen.
- This episode was enacted by performers who makes rare appearances in films.
- If only the script and performances were as impressive as the guest appearances.
- He has made several television appearances and has been a regular performer in recent years at the National Concert Hall, Dublin.
- In the offseason, you have some time for public appearances and some endorsement-type situations.
1.3(of book)aparición femininepublicación feminine
- The sudden appearance of an array of conservative politicians on the advisory panels is worrisome.
- Such a system appears to have come into existence only after the Mississippian emergence and the appearance of chiefs.
- If such laws do exist they indicate something of profound significance - the existence of a logic beyond the material appearance of the Universe.
- Now the appearance of colour-screen mobile phones has raised new tasks for them.
- It is difficult to reconstruct in their fullness the ways of light in bazaars before the appearance of electricity.
- Abnormal desquamation results in the appearance of visible scales associated with many pathologic skin conditions.
- So the appearance of the dinosaurs cannot be a direct result of all these extinctions.
- As we age, we most often gauge this process by the appearance of fine and deep wrinkles.
- The first stage of the healing process is the appearance of the sickness.
- From the very beginnings of life in the sea - the mollusks and trilobites - to the appearance of vertebrates, the author sets the stage for the evolution of sea creatures to land animals, tracing the development of fins to limbs, fish to amphibians and reptiles.
- This constellation represents the sudden appearance of the earth-born giant Typhoeus.
2.1(look)aspecto masculineshe was sickly in appearance — tenía (un) aspecto enfermizo
- candidates must be of good appearance — los candidatos deben tener buena presencia
- she gives the appearance of being quite contented — da la impresión de estar contenta con la vida
- they have all the appearance of a happy family — tienen todo el aspecto de (ser) una familia feliz
- It is elegant in appearance, and exactly designed after early eighteenth-century German models.
- Construction is slipshod, somehow temporary in appearance.
- This service method is neat in appearance, sanitary, healthy, and moves the buffet line in a timely manner.
- It was almost diamond shaped in appearance, but had many sides and the top and bottom were longer and pointed.
- Many of the attendees appeared rather youthful in appearance.
- For it is the cinematic equivalent of a battery-farmed egg: not exactly rotten, but surrounded by dozens of others just like it in appearance, shape and taste.
- Simple in appearance and designed to be functional, the very first fabric awnings were only installed when and where they were needed.
- Over the last fifteen years the quality of stock cabinets has vastly improved in appearance, detailing and durability.
- Japanese marbling patterns were delicate and smoke-like in appearance.
- It is simple in appearance, tasteful in design, short on text and decked out with color photographs.
- If done well, and if the old landscaping was getting shabby, the improvement in appearance can have a large impact on the resale value of the house.
- I think there is a 90 per cent improvement in appearance and 10 per cent improvement in substance.
- The degradation may have been seen visually as a change in appearance (colour, aggregation, odour).
- He is tanned in appearance and has slightly long, dark hair.
- This car is powerfully designed and breathtaking in appearance.
- However, up to one in 20 women are left with red, thick or painful scars that can takes years to improve in appearance.
- The ejecta blanket hits at a parabolic shape, similar in appearance to the dark parabolas seen around impact craters on Venus.
- Success led to an order for three more cars, similar in appearance, but designed for fast services on cross-country routes.
- Initial improvements in appearance are promising, but data on long term outcome are not yet available.
- One claimed residents, some of the most desperate of the homeless on the city streets, have already noticeably improved in appearance and health.
2.2(outward look)aparienciasappearances can be deceptive — las apariencias engañan
- to keep up appearances — guardar las apariencias
- for the sake of appearances — para salvar las apariencias
- to all appearances the situation was hopeless — todo parecía indicar que la situación era desesperada
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.