In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1apetito masculineto have a healthy / good appetite — tener buen apetito
- the walk gave us an appetite — la caminata nos abrió el apetito
- she ate with (a) good appetite — comía con buen apetito
- to lose one's appetite — perder el apetito
- don't eat it now; you'll spoil your appetite — no lo comas ahora, te va a quitar el apetito / las ganas de comer
- the bad news took away my appetite — la mala noticia me quitó el apetito
- she has a tremendous appetite for enjoying life — tiene unas ganas inmensas de gozar de la vida
- he has an enormous appetite for knowledge — tiene una enorme sed de sabiduría / unas enormes ansias de conocimiento
- sexual appetite — apetito sexual
- The museum claimed to serve the cause of moral reformation, but it really worked on base emotions and bodily appetites.
- Apparently, some people even lose their appetites if otherwise good food is served with an unexpected color.
- The selection of salads and potato dishes on offer does not sound substantial enough to satisfy big appetites.
- They had to collect six trucks of grass every day to satisfy the appetites of their cows.
- Nor did such foods come into prevalence because of natural human appetites.
- They both have very healthy appetites, due to the fact they enjoy their food.
- While hunger and appetite are often experienced together, when we are hungry and want a particular food, appetites for foods can occur in the absence of hunger.
- Since they saw no contradiction between bodily appetites and godliness they would be relaxed about the display of sexual characteristics like the beard.
- It was delicious and just enough to satisfy my appetite while not being too filling.
- These characters will do anything to satisfy their appetites, whether for food, drink, or sex.
- Just at this time he made a discovery that helped him satisfy their new appetite for solid food.
- Perhaps it is down to all the steroid hormones pumped into livestock to make them bigger in order to satisfy our insatiable appetites for dead animal.
- As a taster of what's to come, this comes close to completely satisfying the appetite.
- And we could have sliced the cost in half by cutting out such things as starters, and still have emerged our appetites pleasantly satisfied.
- Another one is control of our bodily appetites and thoughts, which we're not so good at, these days.
- Activity that expresses the virtue of moderation is also excellent activity when it comes to the bodily appetites.
- Dressed only in towelling robes, we began to snack on some food to fuel our appetites: peanut butter on toast for him, Marmite sandwich for me.
- Now, it is true that virtue and chastity are not the same thing but, like any of the natural appetites, a question of moderation is involved.
- We can choose to satisfy out appetites with healthy food, eating when we are hungry and stopping when we are full.
- They believed that following our natural appetites is a generally reliable guide to living well.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.