In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1manzana femininebaked apple — manzana asada
- before noun apple cheeks — mejillas sonrosadas
- apple orchard — manzanar
- apple tree — manzano
- In soft fruit such as tomato this process occurs early in ripening whereas in crisp fruits such as apple it is a late-ripening process.
- It could be something specific, Victoria plum skins or green apples.
- Cate picked a few apples from a fruit tree in the grove, wondering if they had any food to eat.
- Last week the kids had made apple crisp with the apples they picked on my second day.
- What do plastic garbage bags, human flesh, and the skins of apples all have in common?
- Using a sharp knife, peel, core and slice the apples into thin wedges.
- Eighteen lumps of different cheeses littered the table amongst baskets of green and red apples and ripe pears.
- Tap on a freshly dug potato and it feels crisp, like an apple right off the tree.
- It is inside the green cells of spinach leaves and the damp flesh of apples.
- I stand outside the vegetable shop as Rose buys some apples, carrots and a cauliflower.
- Walk boldly to the post office to send your snail mail, munching on a daily apple as you admire green spaces along the way.
- Autumn is ideal for crisp British apples to accompany a ploughman's lunch of local farmhouse cheese.
- The apple cider, made exclusively with crisp, sweet winesap apples, is spicy and just winey enough.
- The trees grow fruit with appetizing flavor: blue apples, green oranges, and bananas.
- I mean, do you think that green apples are only grown on a certain farm?
- It could be the beautiful autumn sunshine glistening off mountains of green and red apples which has brought about this unusual state of contemplation.
- Scoop out the cores and cut the apples across into thin half-moon slices.
- On the tree, quince starts out mimicking a green apple, but as it ripens it takes on the color and look of a lemon.
- After a rain or when they're crushed, the leaves smell like green apples.
- Arrange the apples so that rounded sides are on the bottom of the pan.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.