In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(device)aparato masculineelectrical appliances — electrodomésticos masculine
- It's a very specialized kitchen appliance - you can't use it to cook anything else I can think of.
- It has since become my favorite household appliance.
- With refrigerators, perhaps the most costly household appliance, production in China overtook that of the US in 2000.
- In the comments he compares the pleasure he gets from working his will on a recalcitrant domestic appliance to the triumph a caveman felt when slaying a mastodon.
- As our 50-plus years in business would suggest we are always pleased to offer advice about any domestic appliance.
- Ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to show you the greatest kitchen appliance ever made.
- There was a time when one had to hop from shop to shop, verify prices and settle on one shop for each domestic appliance.
- I have, however been exposed to the normal electromagnetic field produced in any appliance on the domestic AC supply so I should be OK.
- All projects used a major wood heating appliance with integrated domestic water heating.
- In its simplest form, it is a data delivery appliance designed specifically for performance, low cost of ownership, and reliability.
- The odd thing is that since I wrote that piece I've seen that very 1960s vintage appliance two or three times on TV.
- If you answer ‘yes’ it would allow you to make choices, such as a vehicle, household appliance, garden equipment, and so on.
- It takes a passion for innovation to consistently develop leading-edge appliance designs.
- I remember well, but to go back to the time this handy appliance wasn't part of every kitchen's equipment is practically unthinkable now.
- It's not the latest designer outfit or high-end household appliance - it's technology.
- Seizing what seems to be an ordinary domestic appliance, he energetically attacks the prostrate form on the table.
- Who hasn't staged an impromptu stand-off with an umbrella, broomstick or the nearest domestic appliance to hand?
- With harmless colours like a mild metallic lilac and beige, it looks more like a feminine home appliance than traditional home office equipment.
- First she might fuse the handle of a domestic appliance with an ergonomic detergent bottle to create an unfamiliar palm-sized plaster sculpture.
- I checked with an electrician who said that appliances thrive in cold, and I placed every appliance in the freezer overnight.
2British(fire engine)coche de bomberos masculinecarro de bomberos masculine Latin Americaautobomba masculine River Platebomba feminine Chile
- One appliance attended the fire, which started in a tractor but spread to a nearby trailer.
- The fire station was called but the appliance took approximately 45 minutes to arrive, he said.
- Where there is an issue of the safety of the crew, we will not send one appliance on its own.
- The international standard is for a minimum of four fire personnel per appliance.
- Essex Fire and Rescue Service had 55 firefighters, six fire engines, an aerial appliance and a control unit on the scene at the height of the fire.
- If there is a property fire it requires a minimum of two appliances.
- Appliances from the fire stations responded and officers quickly extinguished the blaze.
- As smoke started billowing from the roof, five appliances arrived.
- Sirens flashing, a rescue appliance was dispatched with the crew on board not knowing if they should put on their helmets.
- Five minutes later, one appliance went to a cooker ablaze in Fairclough Avenue but that had been put out before they arrived.
- The keys to another new appliance, a new fire engine carrying new, lighter-weight rescue equipment, were also handed over by the mayor yesterday.
- West Yorkshire Fire Authority has already approved plans to scrap an aerial appliance at Stanningley fire station earlier this month.
- "They hated seeing shots of the appliance pulling up because they pride themselves on getting there with a very fast response time," recalls Jennings.
- He said the service was expected to benefit from more than 574 additional firefighters and 18 new appliances.
- The man, who was the station officer when I joined the brigade, told me he was in the brigade in the days of the horse drawn appliance which had a steam driven pump.
- At a call in Wilton Grove, stones, missiles, and fireworks were fired, damaging the windscreen of the appliance.
- A Humberside Fire Service appliance was attending an out-of-control bonfire and was on Brigg Road with its blue lights and sirens on.
- The locak fire station is due to receive the appliance early next month.
- Two fire engines and a high-reach appliance were sent out to an industrial unit at the junction of County Road and Station Road.
- The fire started to go through the roof and that's when the aerial appliance was brought in.
- A well-drilled two appliance team from the fire brigade arrived and set about hosing down the road without delay.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.