In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They rise out of the water like aquatic chook pens.
- The riverfront can be an aquatic center, complete with speedboats for water skiing.
- Early morning swimmers, those in the club for competition, water polo, canoe polo, underwater hockey, and mere sun lovers all find what they want at the town's aquatic centre.
- Work is continuing on the Clodiagh river to improve the aquatic environment by reducing pollution and preventing the river bed from drying up in summer.
- Yes, I'd read the brochures describing the sun-drenched charms, magnificent reefs and warm summer seas of Malta and it seemed like the perfect setting for my aquatic adventure.
- Both land and water dwellers believe in river spirits, and aquatic masquerades reflect a shared ethos.
- It causes major environmental problems in freshwater aquatic habitats.
- I'm not surprised about the $10 million cost of the aquatic facility at the Memorial Baths site.
- The camp facilities have classrooms for teaching music, art, drama, aquatic study, etc.
- For more than a decade, Lismore City Council has been testing the waters for a new aquatic facility for the city.
- And you can add the other stories about the aquatic divers who will reach the Convention Center under water.
- The second phase includes an aquatic center with water slides, and a third phase includes an auditorium that can be converted into an indoor soccer facility.
- The second part of the plan is meant to set up standards to ensure that enough water always remains in rivers to support the aquatic environment.
- The general consensus seems to be that this particular aquatic adventure is too water logged for its own good.
- Even the water park, which will be part of an Olympic-size aquatic centre, will have a Christian theme, with laser shows depicting Bible stories such as Jonah and the whale and David and Goliath.
- So, imagine my surprise when I turned my masked face into the water and had a thriving aquatic housing project revealed to me in all its glory.
- I mean this is a great sport for the Olympics, they've got these wonderful aquatic centres built for every Olympics, you'd love to be in one of those, wouldn't you?
- Up close, looking at a typical Tomaselli is like looking through water into an artificial aquatic world.
- An aquatic centre, due for completion in 2006, will provide two 50-metre pools and other facilities, whether or not the London Olympics bid succeeds.
- Besides the amusing circus and aquatic performances, visitors can have their pictures taken with a well-dressed bear or a large, semi-comatose tiger.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.