In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1arbóreoque vive en los árboles
- Nocturnal and arboreal, they clamber up trees and hang from limbs thanks to long prehensile tails and opposable inside toes (like thumbs) on their hind feet.
- Others have countered that small land-dwelling dinosaurs learned to fly without ever developing arboreal habits: no trees were needed.
- The authors remind us that no living primate has such hands and feet ‘for any purpose other than to meet the demands of full or part-time arboreal (tree dwelling) life.’
- The Namai zone belongs to the birds, tall trees and arboreal mammals.
- The low number of contacts with the surrounding vegetation may be important in reducing the probability that smaller arboreal predators will access the nest tree.
- Many species of the salamander genus Bolitoglossa are arboreal (tree living), rather than typically terrestrial, and their feet are modified for climbing on smooth surfaces.
- Within the ground beetle family, a few eat seeds, a few concentrate near water, and some readily climb trees and consume arboreal insects, including aphids and forest tent caterpillars.
- It is a medium-sized arboreal gliding mammal which hangs upside down in trees, leaping into the air to glide in search of fruit to eat.
- The apes are almost totally arboreal; they live in the trees, travel through the trees, and eat fruit from the trees.
- Cracids are arboreal birds, nesting, roosting and foraging in the trees.
- Longrich said that his research ‘puts forward some of the strongest evidence yet that birds descended from arboreal parachuters and gliders, similar to modern flying squirrels.’
- However, a lot of people feel that an arboreal origin makes a lot more sense, and not all paleontologists are so quick to rule out the idea that birds could come from arboreal dinosaurs.
- Many small and some large tetrapods with no obvious arboreal features can get into trees.
- The Siberian flying squirrel is a nocturnal arboreal rodent, which nests in tree cavities, twig dreys, and nest-boxes.
- Sweet observed a male of the small arboreal species V. glauerti descend the home tree of one female and travel more than 300 yards in a straight line, through dense forest and rock outcrops, to the base of another tree.
- Depending on their location, sagebrush lizards are saxicolous, arboreal, or generalize among different habitat types including sand dunes.
- As most primates are arboreal and/or feed in trees, they require a high degree of balance and coordination and ethanol-impacted infants should fare poorly.
- For example, it is hypothesized that birds must have evolved flight from trees, so their ancestors must have been arboreal.
- They are mainly arboreal, preferring to stay in the trees and larger shrubs.
- Funds permitting, there are also plans to set up some structures atop the trees as the chimps are very much adapted to an arboreal life.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.