In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Satan, a sceptical archangel, offers an experiment to test whether Job's piety is really sincere or predicated on his God-given wealth.
- Cast in Biblical terms, the poem announces that humankind is unable to recognize the divine reflected in such symbols as archangels.
- The third principle is that the Koran is the word of God dictated to Muhammad through the archangel Gabriel.
- The ‘seven spirits’ might be the seven archangels of Jewish angelology or else the sevenfold spirit of God.
- St Thomas Aquinas had an arrangement of angels - they ranged from angels, archangels and so on up to seraphims.
- The Spitalfields coins, issued in 1509, carry an image of the archangel St Michael defeating a reptilian devil.
- As the most beautiful of God's archangels (a high rank of angels) he became jealous of God's appointed heir and, gathering other angels around him, mounted a challenge.
- The archangel Michael, located on the left side in the painting, wears armour and holds the scales of justice and his sword.
- Her face could have been that of Joanna's, the archangel of healing.
- Of the seven archangels Raphael is the one usually associated with Mercury, the planet traditionally taken as the planetary ruler of astrology.
- Billy Connolly will undergo an image change for his latest film role by playing the archangel Gabriel.
- In Christianity the fallen archangel becomes the devil, the Christ child is the son of God.
- During the sixth century, Skellig monks set up the monastery in honour of the archangel Michael, patron of high places.
- The first part of the text is confused, but we are told that the powerful oath was entrusted to the archangel Michael.
- God turned to His servant, the archangel Michael.
- From Fludds illustration of The Three Worlds, in Figure I, the Intellectual World can be seen as ruled over by the angels and archangels.
- He was one of the Lord's three archangels, a specially created angel who was entrusted with a particular anointing.
- On the door there are usually life-size representations of the archangels Gabriel and Michael, above which there are several rows of other icons, including saints, martyrs, and apostles.
- Islam, Muslims believe the Koran was revealed to Mohammed, in Mecca, by an archangel in approximately 610AD and he dictated it to his companions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.