In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1archienemigo masculinearchienemiga feminineenemigo acérrimo masculineenemiga acérrima feminine
- France and Germany, former arch-enemies, had found a solution to their problems regarding the Saarland.
- It sounds like the kind of agreement arch-enemies might come to when they realise they have to get along to gain mutual benefits.
- Once in Neverland, they become enmeshed in Peter's war with his arch-enemy, the nefarious Captain Hook.
- The designer who created the game, Yuji Naka - president and CEO of Sonic Team - is busy these days doing what would have been anathema a year ago: making a Sonic variant for a former arch-enemy, Nintendo.
- Just two days earlier he was threatening his arch-enemy with death.
- Howie, in a fit of apt casting, played Dr. Sivana, the arch-enemy of Captain Marvel.
- Everyone knows that a hero is only as interesting as his arch-enemy and the bad guy in this film, while amusing, isn't particularly interesting.
- One would think that a leader who has brought about a historic detente with an arch-enemy would be cheered and feted by his people.
- The young boy can't believe that he will have to show up at the neighbourhood rink in the blue and white colours of the arch-enemy!
- But to some, it still hurts to survive on the generosity of the arch-enemy.
- And in a fascinating twist on the Superman story, the show's creators imagine a childhood friendship between Clark and his future arch-enemy, Lex Luthor.
- It belonged to Alicia Johnson, my arch-enemy ever since the second grade when she poured milk in my hair and pulled the ‘rubber spider trick’ on me.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.