In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1presión feminineafter a bit of arm-twisting, I got him to agree — presionándolo un poco, logré convencerlo
- No amount of arm-twisting or cajoling could change that political reality.
- There were reports of intense political arm-twisting in the corridors of Westminster, with some MPs complaining that ministers were warning potential rebels that they could bring down the Government.
- With all the political arm-twisting over climate change going on before G8 begins, the BBC as usual missed the real story this morning.
- Ultimately, despite aggressive administration and business arm-twisting, both houses of Congress voted to block the new rule.
- Two of the team were caught and plead guilty to manslaughter, but due to arm-twisting by the French, the government was forced to transfer them to French custody.
- Discreet arm-twisting by President Clinton to encourage an increase in production may provide a short term solution, but with winter approaching in the rich northern countries, demand is unlikely to fall.
- Paul Brown Stadium opened in 2000 after years of friendly persuasion and arm-twisting.
- Expect a little more arm-twisting from the government, and an eventual approval of the resolution.
- It took a lot of arm-twisting for me to be persuaded to publish the script in Dream Country, which I agreed to mostly because I'd wanted so much as a young writer to see what a comics script looked like.
- Any arm-twisting or gentle persuasion presumably took place in corridor huddles or late-night conversations.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.