In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the armed forces — las fuerzas armadas
- Special Forces are found in all branches of the armed services, even the Air Force.
- Today we see the growing importance of joint staffs in western armed forces.
- Furthermore, our armed services and other security forces need to know how the enemy is trained, otherwise how can we stop them?
- Even as military operations grew more complex, support for the armed services continued to hold steady.
- Members of the battle staff formed seven operational teams and represented all branches of the armed services.
- In the regular armed forces of all the combatant powers women remained a small minority.
- When the war started many young men enlisted in the armed forces and the merchant marines.
- In his Christmas message to the armed services, Mr Blair apologised for the continuing uncertainty over military action.
- A US government source said Muhammad served more than a decade in the armed services and was an Army mechanic in a combat support unit.
- The will and courage of the men and women of the armed services are the most effective weapon we will ever have.
- The armed forces consist of a small army and a police force with six hundred members.
- Proper logistic outsourcing permits the armed services to focus on their respective core competencies.
- I am married and come from a family with a history of service in the armed forces.
- As soldiers, we are members of the armed services, not the social services.
- Others were recruited when applying for posts in the armed forces or the Civil Service.
- The ceremony was attended by top brass representing all the armed services, including the military's new leadership.
- By executive order, President Truman outlawed the separation of races in the armed services.
- DLA encouraged the armed services to submit their requirements early to ensure that all needs were met.
- Regulars from the three armed services medical corps will also be able to go there for field hospital training.
- We deploy the only armed forces who are required to pay UK income tax while on operations overseas.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.