In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(vehicle) blindado(division/regiment) acorazadoarmoredglass — vidrio reforzado masculine
- It is a tracked, armoured, amphibious vehicle designed to engage armoured ground and air targets while stationary, on the move and afloat.
- Military vehicles on display will include a Ferret an armoured scout car British and American jeeps and wartime motorbikes.
- Boffins at Britain's Ministry of Defence have invented an electric ‘force field’ designed to protect armoured vehicles against anti-tank grenades.
- Some 24 ships, 23,000 military personnel, 400 armoured vehicles and a squadron of fighter-bombers are involved.
- However, a new generation of young officers embraced the idea of a fast moving war based on armoured vehicles supported by air power.
- The Cavalry commander had the armoured cars with him and was later reinforced by 1,500 infantry soldiers who were sent forward in Ford cars.
- Stormer 30 is a highly mobile armoured reconnaissance vehicle and light tank.
- The armoured vehicle is protected against 14.5 mm heavy machine gun rounds and artillery splinters.
- In-line transmission is by four central axles protected by armoured housings.
- Witnesses said US troops riding in jeeps and armoured vehicles opened fire after children in the crowd started pelting them with shoes and stones.
- The armoured vehicles are heavily protected by grilles to prevent damage from missiles and petrol bombs.
- Soldiers in armoured vehicles and Humvees cordoned off the area.
- The Ozelot Weapon System is built on the Wiesel 2 small armoured tracked vehicle.
- Corporal Jones was on an operational tour in East Timor and was travelling in the rear of an armoured vehicle at the time of the incident.
- The division's long columns of trucks and Humvee armoured vehicles avoided Iraqi army and paramilitary units as they pushed north on Thursday and Friday.
- The soldier selects top attack mode to engage tanks and armoured vehicles in order to strike the least armoured area on the vehicle's roof.
- The drivetrain and steering linkages are protected within the armoured hull.
- The army sent in armoured troop carriers and artillery into Racak, Petroovo, Malopoljce and Renaja.
- The powerful blast tore through the steel reinforced Warrior armoured fighting vehicle the troops were travelling in, blowing the wheels off on one side and forcing it into a ditch.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.