In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Physiologyaxila femininesobaco masculine
- The rash is greasy and affects the scalp, face, armpits, groin and skin below the breasts.
- Breast cancer treatment often involves the removal of lymph nodes in the armpit.
- The symptoms of plague were swollen lymph nodes in the armpits and groin known as buboes, hence Bubonic Plague, and death followed within hours or a few days at the most.
- Young children usually get the rash on their hands, feet, armpits, and sometimes their scalp and face.
- Moles can be present in more obscure locations as well - including on your scalp, under your nails, in your armpits and around your genitals.
- The smell is made by the bacteria that feed on this sweat, which comes from the apocrine glands in the armpits and groin area.
- A child may also develop freckling in the folds of the skin of the armpit or groin or on other parts of the body where the skin creases.
- There are higher concentrations of sweat glands in the armpits, hands, feet and forehead.
- Hair that's not in your armpits or pubic area should be very fine, even if it's darker.
- Often the lymph glands in the armpit are removed at the same time.
- Hyperhidrosis commonly affects the palms of the hands, the soles of the feet, or the armpits, but in a small number of patients it occurs over the whole body surface.
- These may be scattered all over the skin, but occur most frequently in the armpits, groins and thighs.
- If you notice a red spot close to the tick bite or develop a rash around your armpit, groin and thighs or a flu-like illness after being bitten, see your GP.
- Some individuals also may have weakness in one arm or leg if tumors grow in nerves in the armpit or groin.
- The most common sign of food allergy is inflamed, itchy skin, usually around a pet's feet, face, ears, armpits, and groin.
- Doctors ask about symptoms and examine for swelling of the liver, spleen, and lymph glands in the armpits, groin and neck.
- It is most commonly found in the armpits, groin, between the buttocks and under the breasts.
- Lymph nodes, containing lymphatic fluid, are part of the immune system, and when swollen they feel like round bumps on your neck, armpits and groin.
- Sometimes it can be found in your armpit, above your collarbone or down as far as your abdomen.
- Sometimes your eyelashes, eyebrows, armpit, pubic and other body hair also falls out.
2USinformal(place)lugar de mala muerte masculine
- Your dismal little country in the armpit of Nowhere.
- Humorist Gene Weingarten visits Battle Mountain, Nevada and describes how the "Armpit of America" grows on him. [washingtonpost.com]
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.