In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of furniture)disposición femininea flower arrangement — un arreglo floral
- The whole point of a federalist approach is that it lets the voters of the states decide what sort of arrangement counts as a social-policy success.
- Tom Phillips presented a typically idiosyncratic arrangement of 40 sheets of Minutes from RA meetings on which he'd doodled quite exquisitely.
- My children are at state schools and my health is in the care of the state - and I am happy with this socially just arrangement.
- The audience sit in a sort of three-cornered arrangement facing the main platform.
- Government customers provide economic incentives in the process of arrangement of tenders and during the award and performance of contracts.
- If the Government wish to convince the Muslim community about the need to pay higher Haj charter fare, the process of charter arrangement must become transparent.
- The cottages were so minuscule, they must have had some sort of stacking arrangement for sleeping.
- TGI Fridays has more than one seating arrangement, ranging from the stools around the central bar to cosy nooks for couples.
- The books of the OT and NT have reached their present number and arrangement by a process of adjustment and elimination over centuries.
- Nor did he put the figures on display in a frontally disposed arrangement.
- Pete finally settled on an arrangement that he was happy with, consisting of a butterfly and a long loop leading to a bowline on the bight.
- The shape of neurons varies with the number and arrangement of their processes.
- It's a big job, dressing a tree properly, and it takes a couple of days for the arrangement to settle down, during which period there is a need for much tweaking of the decorations until there's no further improvement to be made.
- Within the next meadow only a few hundred feet away from Ysban's settlement was an arrangement of stone pillars.
2.1(agreement)what's the arrangement for tomorrow? — ¿cómo hemos/se ha quedado para mañana?
- it seemed the most sensible arrangement — parecía el mejor arreglo / la mejor solución
- the arrangement is that she'll pick us up at seven — hemos/he quedado en que nos pasará a recoger a las siete
- we made an arrangement to meet the next day — quedamos en encontrarnos al día siguiente
- I have an arrangement with the bank — tengo un acuerdo / arreglo con el banco
- he came to an arrangement with his creditors — llegó a un acuerdo con sus acreedores
- group visits by arrangement — se ruega concertar de antemano las visitas en grupo
- [ S ]salary by arrangement — sueldo a convenir
2.2(fixing, agreeing)he helped us with the arrangement of accommodation — nos ayudó a conseguir alojamiento
3arrangements plural(plans)planes masculinethe weather spoiled our arrangements — el tiempo nos estropeó los planes
- tell me how many are coming and I'll look after all the arrangements — dime cuántos vienen y yo me encargaré de todo / haré todos los preparativos
- what are the travel/sleeping arrangements? — ¿cómo vamos (or van etc.) a viajar/dormir?
- I had to see to the seating arrangements — tuve que encargarme de disponer cómo se iban a sentar
- arrangements for the transfer of funds should be made two weeks in advance — la transferencia de fondos debe solicitarse con dos semanas de anticipación
- he made the arrangements for the funeral himself — él mismo se encargó de los preparativos para el funeral
- she made arrangements for her mail to be sent on — dispuso que le reexpidieran la correspondencia
- I can't come, I've already made other arrangements — no puedo venir, ya tengo otro compromiso
- This year the scramble in Claremorris will be on the first Saturday in July and John has already made preliminary arrangements for the event.
- The elaborate arrangements for the event extended to the provision of viewing facilities for the thousands of people who would come to the race.
- We hope this will give you time to plan your own arrangements for Christmas and that as you pass Market House you can feel that you had a hand in the start of the restoration of the building.
- The coordinating committee is now working on the arrangements for the event.
- For Spence, one of the main lessons that must be learned from the 2001 epidemic is that Scotland must be given full control over arrangements for dealing with future outbreaks.
- North Yorkshire county councillors are protesting to the Government about proposed new arrangements for sixth-form funding to be introduced from April 2002.
- Another worker spent her first month as a legislative aide making arrangements for fund-raising events, the documents said.
- I've already made preliminary arrangements for our plan, Nicholas.
- A special meeting to make arrangements for this event will be held in the near future.
- The council is also waiting to hear about the detailed arrangements for the planning and administration of the national park.
- In his letter in last week's Gazette, Vincent Doey referred to the future arrangements for the Parent Partnership Services for children in Wiltshire with special educational needs.
- These letters reveal the eager young composer fretting anxiously over arrangements for the premiere of the work.
- When it came to healthcare Lewis said his government had prepared legislation and made arrangements for the introduction of a National Health Insurance Scheme.
- The Renuka Sangeetha Sabha, which is making arrangements for Saturday's event, has been organising a variety of music programmes to encourage young musicians.
- The Military District of Washington coordinated arrangements for the many events that led up to Reagan's official state funeral.
- Could we request the university authorities to make better arrangements for holding these events in future, so that all students can exercise their right to associate and speak freely?
- A spokeswoman said: ‘We will be looking at alternative staffing arrangements for the future.’
- West Wiltshire Primary Care Trust is planning an overhaul of arrangements for hospital cover at all community hospitals under its control.
- Well, the first step is to have an objective professional appraisal of your current arrangements and future plans.
- He must then suggest future arrangements for European cooperation.
- A meeting will be held this evening, Tuesday, at 9pm in the Ballina Sports and Leisure Centre to make final arrangements for this event.
- He has published numerous supplementary books for college group instruction, as well as duet and duo piano arrangements for young students.
- A teacher's companion book that includes activities for the classroom and sheet music arrangements of the songs also is available.
- They gave many performances of original arrangements from his operetta material.
- Movies are a great source of memorable melodies, and the latest to enter the orchestral arrangements field is composer and pianist Brian Byrne.
- He also gives a witty solo performance in the piano arrangement of the Valse from Façade.
- Composer Christopher Dedrick combines bombastic orchestral arrangements coupled with delicate choral and piano pieces for the instrumental score.
- To me the musical arrangement, instrumentation, vocals and harmonies, are just as important as the lyrics.
- This collection contains twelve song arrangements for piano with the lyrics printed at the close.
- Although not all the symphonies survive, three are preserved in arrangements by the composer for piano duet.
- His speciality is extension of the guitar repertoire, with arrangements of Chopin, Brahms and, particularly, J S Bach.
- He therefore embarked on a series of arrangements for String Orchestra in an attempt to present the String Quartet medium to a wider audience.
- The soundtrack offers a mix of orchestral arrangements, instrumental soloists and pop with a hint of strings.
- Haydn's musical genius created the perfect accompaniments and arrangements for the folk melodies, elevating them to first-class lieder.
- The Andante is an arrangement for string orchestra of one of the movements of the quartet.
- One work the couple has performed frequently is a four-hand arrangement of Brahms's Fourth Symphony, written by the composer himself.
- Some of the orchestral musical arrangements sound absolutely spectacular.
- The volume concludes with concert arrangements of Chopin's Rondo, Op. 16, and five waltzes.
- Many important lessons about music making and piano technique can be gleaned through the teaching of these attractive arrangements.
- A body of such works as instrumental duets and arrangements of theatrical tunes for small ensembles was tailored to amateur musicians of limited abilities.
- I was impressed by the sincerity of his voice and the musical arrangements of his songs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.