In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1atrasosto be in arrears with the rent — estar atrasado en el pago del alquiler
- I'm £300 in arrears with my rent — debo 300 libras de alquiler
- you are now two months in arrears on your payments — lleva dos meses de atraso / de retraso en los pagos
- salaries are paid monthly in arrears — los sueldos se pagan mensualmente, una vez cumplido cada mes de trabajo
- to fall / get into arrears with / on sth — atrasarse / retrasarse en los pagos de algo
- He's fallen into arrears, and the mortgage company is repossessing it on Monday.
- However, the city of New York was about to foreclose on the building for arrears of property taxes.
- She agreed that all the money was now gone but said most of it had gone towards repayment of debts and arrears.
- York housing chiefs today unveiled plans to make savings by toughening up on the collection of rent arrears.
- There is need to end the problem of housing allowance arrears once and for all.
- The accountants may not withdraw from the court until all debts and arrears are fully paid.
- Camden council, where I live, never tires of bragging of how it evicts people with rent arrears.
- One side of the Council is issuing housing benefit, while on the other it takes court action when arrears build up.
- Because of rent arrears, the district council repossessed the building in 2000.
- Two weeks ago the Keighley News revealed that she had stood for election even though she was in council tax arrears.
- The company owes six million leva in VAT and a further six million leva in other tax arrears.
- She had been planning to sell the perfume and use the cash to pay off her rent arrears.
- The council is chasing a total of £4.7m in rent arrears throughout the borough.
- Reducing arrears means more money for services and housing improvements.
- The report says a record number of people are getting into debt and that the most common debt in Scotland is council tax arrears.
- They wait until the arrears accumulate before they can take any action at all.
- The level of rent arrears does not, and cannot, affect the level of residents' council tax.
- Every two weeks, the council reassesses the balance-sheets on outstanding rent arrears.
- After all, the arrears of rent were quite small compared to the alleged value of the inventory.
- Her arrears dated back several years and had built up because she had struggled financially as a single mother.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.