In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(coming)llegada femininearribo masculine Latin America formalour arrival at the airport — nuestra llegada al aeropuerto
- the arrival in Washington of the delegation — la llegada de la delegación a Washington
- we expect his arrival any moment — estamos esperando su llegada de un momento a otro
- the arrival of spring — la llegada de la primavera
- time of arrival — hora de llegada
- on arrival — a su (/ mi etc. ) llegada
- If a person needs a crutch on arrival, why doesn't he need it on departure?
- Apart from hugs and kisses on arrival and departure there has never been anything physical between us.
- You can a get a discount on your King House tour if you show your Boyle Abbey entry ticket on arrival.
- The eventual arrival of Metrolink will also help attract more spectators and more participants to SportCity.
- The doctor who examined him on arrival at Bagram reported him in good health.
- He said the public is also being asked to attend at the nurses' station on arrival, before visiting the wards.
- The civic party will stay in the Hotel Gottler and be welcomed on arrival on March 27 by German civic dignitaries.
- It was just one store, but its arrival in this country changed the game completely.
- The arrival of spring has put people in the mood for going out for a breath of fresh air away from urban centres.
- On arrival police assaulted people standing outside of the centre, beating them heavily.
- Opodo was a late arrival in the online travel business and racked up huge losses.
- In recent weeks, South African nationals have been arrested on arrival in Dublin Airport.
- In his notebook Gradowski described his journey by train to the camp and the selection process on arrival.
- I really never thought this would all happen with Latham's arrival as Labour leader.
- On arrival I was handed a letter all the way from my mother in Knockmore, County Mayo, Ireland.
- On arrival PC Hargreaves was met by relatives who told him the doors were locked.
- We strolled along the mown grass on a long trail around the grounds lasting about an hour and a half, guided by a leaflet handed to us on arrival.
- Which has become the most popular shooting sport in many countries since its arrival on the British market in 1989.
- Her first impressions on arrival was the scenic beauty, the lovely animals and the freshness of the air.
- One of the first arrivals in the UK will be the Renault Logan, produced in Romania.
- The arrival of synthetic products may have pushed bamboo and cane out of the front rows in the market.
- Gorbachev's arrival as Soviet premier, however, had dire consequences for Bulgarian wine.
- It had been pre-booked and the event organiser paid in advance on arrival.
- The arrival of the railway in 1849 led to major development throughout the area.
- The arrival on the market of DVD writers complicates matters even further.
- The arrival of spring marked the launch of the assault on the South Pole.
- The price is based on two people sharing self-catering accommodation, which will be allocated on arrival.
- Some outbreaks had been reported in Yorkshire and so virulent was the disease that its arrival in Craven was seen as inevitable.
- And on arrival in the Czech Republic they were put up in a penthouse suite at the Panorama Hotel.
- And I recall that the last two times I have flown, one of my bags was missing on arrival.
- The arrival of peace can immediately improve the environment for development.
- Li Yinhe said the government had not yet comprehended the arrival of the sexual revolution.
- The arrival of the Black Death brought social and economic chaos, from which not even the Minster was immune.
- Her arrival was greeted by a heartwarming display of affection from the people of Edinburgh.
- But Mr Howard's arrival as Opposition leader had evened things up all round.
- The team was given a great reception on arrival back in Swinford with the Cup.
- And I got away with it, even though I omitted to get my entry declaration stamped on arrival in Russia.
- The arrival of the disease in the country would drastically reduce the profits of some of Brazil's largest meat exporters.
- Barcelona's bilingual nature is immediately obvious on arrival in the city.
2(person or thing, in theater)the latest arrivals in our fashion department — las últimas novedades en nuestra sección de modas
- congratulations on your new arrival — felicitaciones por el nacimiento / la llegada de vuestro hijo
- a new arrival on the London stage — una nueva figura del teatro londinense
- (in theater) late arrivals will not be admitted — no se permitirá el acceso a la sala una vez iniciado el espectáculo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.