In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Harvey's team suggests that organic carbon feeds chemical reactions that liberate arsenic from minerals in the soil.
- Animal research has established a bidirectional effect of selenium and arsenic with each metal preventing a toxic effect of the other.
- In animals and plants, arsenic combines with carbon and hydrogen to form organic arsenic.
- The ad was based on the latest findings of the National Research Council and a citizens' sampling program that found high levels of cancer-causing arsenic in wood from Home Depot stores nationwide.
- Earlier this year, the British journal Lancet published a report saying that a test of strands of George III's hair contained arsenic, which can provoke porphyria attacks.
- Well basically CCA treated timber is treated with copper, chromium and arsenic, which is injected into the wood under pressure.
- The 38-year-old lawyer was poisoned with arsenic on September 7, 2004, while flying to the Netherlands.
- Both cadmium and arsenic are ubiquitous in the environment, and exposure through food and water as well as occupational sources can contribute to a well-defined spectrum of disease.
- Apart from any physiological effects on chickens themselves or consumers, feed additives introduce tons of organic arsenic into the environment every year, says Stolz.
- It's a free for all at that stage,’ said Mr Campion pointing out that treated timber alone can contain poisonous arsenic.
- After initial reluctance, the Administration has also implemented Clinton-era proposals to reduce arsenic in drinking water and air pollution from diesel trucks and tractors.
- Large numbers of persons in areas of India, Pakistan, and several other countries have been chronically poisoned from naturally occurring arsenic in ground water.
- For eight years they never demanded any lessening of carbon-dioxide emissions and allowed arsenic to remain in the drinking water of millions of Americans.
- It is also extremely likely that chemicals such as cyanide and arsenic will be leached into the local water systems.
- First, the roller coaster's wooden components have been treated with copper, chromium and arsenic, a carcinogen.
- In recent month residents have raised complaints after dust containing lethal poisons, including cadmium and arsenic, was found in their homes.
- These chemicals are now a source of arsenic in agricultural soil and in groundwater in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Gone will be the chromium and arsenic, which are being replaced by a solution of ammonia.
- Many feared the problems had been caused by once dormant heavy metals, including cadmium and arsenic, now emerging from a redundant coke workings.
- Studies have suggested that arsenic is able to impair DNA repair enzymes and alter the repair of UV-induced DNA damage.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.