In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Art Nouveau masculine
- The birth of art nouveau (called jugendstil in German-speaking countries) was a self-conscious effort to address the new century and determine its modernist pulse.
- The wasp waist, achieved with the help of a corset and a tightly cinched belt, became popular at the end of the nineteenth century, coinciding with the emergence of the art nouveau style in the decorative arts.
- As the epicenter of the art nouveau style, France is particularly well represented.
- As soon as Elton made some money, he started collecting art - art deco and art nouveau.
- In glass design, too, the irregular shapes, floral allusions, and aleatory iridescence of art nouveau succumbed to solid geometry and flat, linear patterning.
- Style is turn-of-the century art nouveau; there are cute banquettes to sit in; a curved wooden bar to order at, and pavement tables outside for summer sun.
- Catherine's own interest in art deco style dates back to the 1980s, although her fascination with period architecture began with art nouveau.
- The curator of the exhibition, Paul Greenhalgh, has taken the point of view that art nouveau was a collection of movements that became a style, and many of those movements are illustrated in the show.
- Like all great styles before it, art nouveau had different emphases and inspirations in each of the major centers.
- In this piece, Lalique captured the essence of the art nouveau style of which he was a master.
- The style combines the original art nouveau of the building itself (mirrors, furnishings) with ultra-modern brushed chrome fixtures.
- Unlike art nouveau, it emphasized a functional design based on logic and geometry.
- In 1908 the architect Adolf Loos published his essay Ornament and Crime, which outlines the creation of art nouveau and advocates a new functional and modern style of architecture.
- The renovated building is almost 100 years old, but the original art nouveau architecture of its facade has remained.
- I bought art deco furniture and art nouveau and great clothes.
- Samuel Bing invited Conder to decorate a small boudoir in his La Maison de l' art nouveau in 1896.
- Most of the hotel's original features, including the stunningly plush and spacious Column Bar in the lobby, and its art nouveau design have been meticulously preserved.
- This enormous and lavishly illustrated volume treats the evolution of the art nouveau style in fin-de-siecle France, principally in Nancy and Paris.
- Tiffany's oxidized silver and enameled sprinkler is a masterpiece of American art nouveau design.
- In common with most 19 th-century tycoons, Faustino Feltrinelli liked to impress, and his villa - built in neo-gothic style with a dash of art nouveau - must have left the locals speechless.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.