In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(design/merit/decoration) artísticothe artistic temperament — el temperamento artístico
- he was artistic, like his grandfather — tenía dotes artísticas, como su abuelo
- The sculptor subsumes his own artistic personality into this collective whole.
- Arrange the asparagus tips on top in an artistic design of your choice.
- It is only after people have a good command of the basics that they can do so in an elegant and artistic manner.
- For a museum man of those days Reynolds was unusually aware of current artistic trends.
- The powers-that-be assured me that the shots were going to be lovely and artistic.
- I went to a school that catered for artistic and creative ambitions.
- It was hardly surprising that Glasgow at the end of the 19th century should have been a hotbed of artistic creativity.
- In any case, these sweet crepes are artistic creations and legitimate desserts.
- Matisse grew up in a provincial environment starved of artistic contact.
- This is artistic licence and I think Rubens is taking it to portray sheer power.
- Landscape painting enjoyed a great vogue in the seicento, an age of artistic originality in many directions.
- They were exquisite, artistic and elegant, bringing a whole new look to sarees.
- Instead, she watched Seth as he picked up a beautiful, artistic vase, studying it with respect.
- His beautiful artistic hands began to lengthen, his claws replacing his nails.
- Children who take along their own flowers will be shown how to turn them into artistic creations.
- Sickert seemed to share Degas' artistic vision in a way he never did with Whistler.
- Normally there is a close relation between art world consensus about artistic value and market value.
- Or if there is a strong creative or artistic aspect in their charts, they can aim for the arts.
- Generally, viewers are amazed that sexual motifs can be so beautiful and artistic.
- Four major exhibitions celebrate different aspects of Turner's artistic achievement this season.
- Both the state and communal administrations support artistic formation and creativity.
- Am I ready for the blandness of tasteful white walls and artistic black and white photographic prints?
- Firstly, the sole bite mark out of the bottom corner is an exquisite artistic touch of which even Tracey Emin would be proud.
- Throughout his career he was an advocate of Constructivism not merely as an artistic movement but as the ideology of a way of life.
- Speaking generally, the French designs are the most artistic and the English the most humorous.
- In his hand was a blue envelope with his parents' address written on it in his mother's fine, artistic handwriting.
- The film that Alex created, and what he wanted to create, is just beautifully artistic to me.
- His conclusion was that the year had been rather better for the cause of artistic freedom than it had been for art itself.
- His work has proved difficult to define within the artistic milieu of Hans Holbein the elder's workshop.
- Let me conclude this topic by looking at inflation in the art market and artistic attempts to escape it.
- It is one of the great artistic, cultural and creative centres of the world.
- The executives were trying to wrestle artistic and creative control back.
- It was such a beautiful, artistic shot, with the blackness outlining this post as it jutted up from the water.
- It's this artistic energy that makes the art business so much fun for the rest of us.
- Out has gone the traditional lawn which has been replaced by water while hedges have been replaced by artistic steel designs.
- Yet in his lifetime the horse was of course as much a problem for Stubbs's reputation as it was the cornerstone of his artistic practice.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.