In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(merit/design/decoration) artísticothe artistic temperament — el temperamento artístico
- he was artistic, like his grandfather — tenía dotes artísticas, como su abuelo
- His beautiful artistic hands began to lengthen, his claws replacing his nails.
- In his hand was a blue envelope with his parents' address written on it in his mother's fine, artistic handwriting.
- Four major exhibitions celebrate different aspects of Turner's artistic achievement this season.
- Normally there is a close relation between art world consensus about artistic value and market value.
- It is only after people have a good command of the basics that they can do so in an elegant and artistic manner.
- Both the state and communal administrations support artistic formation and creativity.
- Landscape painting enjoyed a great vogue in the seicento, an age of artistic originality in many directions.
- Speaking generally, the French designs are the most artistic and the English the most humorous.
- His conclusion was that the year had been rather better for the cause of artistic freedom than it had been for art itself.
- It's this artistic energy that makes the art business so much fun for the rest of us.
- Matisse grew up in a provincial environment starved of artistic contact.
- Firstly, the sole bite mark out of the bottom corner is an exquisite artistic touch of which even Tracey Emin would be proud.
- Instead, she watched Seth as he picked up a beautiful, artistic vase, studying it with respect.
- Or if there is a strong creative or artistic aspect in their charts, they can aim for the arts.
- This is artistic licence and I think Rubens is taking it to portray sheer power.
- Let me conclude this topic by looking at inflation in the art market and artistic attempts to escape it.
- Arrange the asparagus tips on top in an artistic design of your choice.
- They were exquisite, artistic and elegant, bringing a whole new look to sarees.
- His work has proved difficult to define within the artistic milieu of Hans Holbein the elder's workshop.
- In any case, these sweet crepes are artistic creations and legitimate desserts.
- Generally, viewers are amazed that sexual motifs can be so beautiful and artistic.
- The executives were trying to wrestle artistic and creative control back.
- It is one of the great artistic, cultural and creative centres of the world.
- The sculptor subsumes his own artistic personality into this collective whole.
- Am I ready for the blandness of tasteful white walls and artistic black and white photographic prints?
- I went to a school that catered for artistic and creative ambitions.
- Sickert seemed to share Degas' artistic vision in a way he never did with Whistler.
- For a museum man of those days Reynolds was unusually aware of current artistic trends.
- Throughout his career he was an advocate of Constructivism not merely as an artistic movement but as the ideology of a way of life.
- The film that Alex created, and what he wanted to create, is just beautifully artistic to me.
- Children who take along their own flowers will be shown how to turn them into artistic creations.
- Yet in his lifetime the horse was of course as much a problem for Stubbs's reputation as it was the cornerstone of his artistic practice.
- Out has gone the traditional lawn which has been replaced by water while hedges have been replaced by artistic steel designs.
- It was such a beautiful, artistic shot, with the blackness outlining this post as it jutted up from the water.
- The powers-that-be assured me that the shots were going to be lovely and artistic.
- It was hardly surprising that Glasgow at the end of the 19th century should have been a hotbed of artistic creativity.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.