In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1día de la Ascensión masculine
- On Ascension Day children take part in a ‘cricket hunt’ in the city's largest park.
- On the day before Ascension Day bundles of stakes and branches are carried to the harbour side before 9am and a ‘penny hedge’ built which by tradition has to survive three tides.
- The volumes feature selections from 513 biblical texts from the Revised Common Lectionary for the Sundays throughout the church year and for Christmas Day, Epiphany, and Ascension Day.
- Come Ascension Day, students there take part in the annual practice of hurling hot pennies from the roofs of College to be caught by school children on the Front Quad lawn below.
- Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter, Ascension Day, and Corpus Christi are recognized as national holidays and are observed according to the religious calendar.
- I did some Maths; then I went out to church, because it is in fact Ascension Day.
- This process takes many hours and occupies all of the three days preceding Ascension Day.
- Religious holidays include Good Friday, along with the non-religious Easter Monday holiday; Ascension Day in April or May; and Christmas.
- This event happened 40 days after Easter Sunday, on Ascension Day.
- It is a good promise to hear in the gap between Ascension Day and the Day of Pentecost.
- The two village schools of Pitton and Farley met in a field midway between the two villages to celebrate Ascension Day.
- In this week alone, two of the three non-working days were May Day and Ascension Day, neither of which really warrants a public holiday if the truth be told.
- Beatrice d' Este, sister of Isabella and wife to Lodovico Sforza of Milan, went shopping in Venice in 1493, at the time of the annual Ascension Day fair, which filled the Piazza San Marco with wooden booths.
- Other religious holidays include Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter, and Ascension Day (all in the spring).
- They also observe other Roman Catholic festivals, including Ascension Day (forty days after Easter) and All Saints' Day.
- Today is Ascension Day, the day we remember when Jesus was taken back to heaven.
- Mind you, today is Ascension Day, a Holy Day of Obligation, so we would have had the day off, anyway.
- It's Ascension Day here in Bavaria and that means a welcome public holiday.
- The Saturday following Ascension Day will now become a paid holiday.
- Conceived by Antony Noghès, and always held on the weekend following Ascension Day, the Monaco Grand Prix is the most famous race on the Grand Prix calendar and last year celebrated its 50th F1 Grand Prix.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.