In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- With regard to marriage Luther pursues the same idea: The marital relationship between a man and a woman is true chastity and of higher value than monastic asceticism.
- In his time the religious energy and zeal were flowing away from the empirical world into the desert of otherworldliness, asceticism and renunciation.
- This Pharisee was boasting, in other words, of an asceticism beyond the norm.
- The icon, in particular, is a practical form of art, dealing directly with questions of spiritual life such as holiness and asceticism.
- He had now experienced both the extremes of a life of ease and comfort (as a prince) and the life of extreme austerity and asceticism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.