In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1miércoles de Ceniza masculine
- Having answered the call to repentance on Ash Wednesday, we begin the Lenten journey with this dramatic set of readings.
- After Ash Wednesday services, our foreheads were clean as soon as we got home.
- On Ash Wednesday, the faithful seeks repentance for whatever sins he may have committed as he prepares himself for the season of Lent.
- On Ash Wednesday, he wants to ‘part the waters’ of our routine lives so that we might find God and be drawn closer to him by his grace.
- On the days prior to Ash Wednesday, women and girls made small bags into which ashes or small stones or pebbles were placed.
- That quote forms part of the invitation for people to observe Lent, taken from the Ash Wednesday service.
- Large congregations attended the services on Ash Wednesday in St. Brigids Parish Church.
- Traditionally, Ash Wednesday has been a time to make Lenten commitments.
- Extra chairs had to be set up on Ash Wednesday, similar to Christmas and Easter.
- The annual Carnival celebration is held in the town of Castries right before Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday.
- People there were asked, during Ash Wednesday services, to remember those less fortunate than they.
- My wife and I attended a noon Ash Wednesday service of communion and imposition of ashes.
- I was also adamantly opposed to seeing the movie on opening day, Ash Wednesday.
- Parishioners are reminded that Ash Wednesday is a day of fast and abstinence.
- The Ash Wednesday service last night was really beautiful and powerful.
- On the morning of Ash Wednesday, they will celebrate mass in the local parish church in Enniscrone.
- On Ash Wednesday, Jesus' words send the message that believers can strive for things not of dust and ashes.
- Going to church on Ash Wednesday will not wash away our sins.
- The ashes of Ash Wednesday represent God's eternal claim on our lives.
- Next Wednesday is Ash Wednesday, a day I always remember fondly.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.