In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person) necioasinine remark/action — necedad feminine
- However, all of his blind, asinine nonsense was going to be put to an end.
- Shows insist on running asinine competitions to check that their listeners are awake and tuned in (and to harvest phone numbers for marketing purposes).
- What is scary is that these big men and women sit, discuss, debate and come up with these asinine reasons for why things are in a mess.
- I have to admit, with a heavy heart, that when I originally read about the new villains, I thought they sounded asinine, with daft names and even dafter looks.
- A contestant makes a truly asinine remark and the boredom abates slightly, even as annoyance levels are soaring.
- That's asinine and they will be undone by their sloppy decision-making.
- I dislike the music, find the plots to be asinine and chauvinistic, and hate the predictable and unrealistically cheerful endings.
- The writing is worse than asinine, and the direction assumes an audience who won't get the jokes unless they are battered with them for several minutes.
- To draw the conclusion that this person is a terrorist based on this ‘evidence’ is asinine.
- That statement is so asinine as not to deserve any response from me.
- Each interview conducted by a HR specialist was asinine in the extreme, without exception.
- He earned the dough to bring this asinine concept to life, and has even recruited some heavy hitters to nurture it.
- It is the most perfectly asinine closing statement I think I have ever heard by a ‘professional’ writer.
- His few political interventions are puerile and his forays abroad - to Australia, Orkney, Israel - are, well, asinine.
- Now, allow me to explain why the preceding statements are so utterly asinine.
- Needless to say, this was an asinine decision for three reasons.
- Have you heard anything as asinine as that before?
- He had asked for some time off to help promote his CD, which was, you know, incredibly asinine to do at the beginning of the season.
- It's absolutely asinine to spend three hours out of your day traveling to and from work.
- Now this was asinine enough to get him some serious humiliation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.