In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1espárrago masculinebefore noun asparagus plant — esparraguera feminine
- Seed placement is also critical because the roots of asparagus plants grow only below the seed.
- Later in the spring, they can be found all over the asparagus plants but usually they do only minor damage.
- If not cut for food, the shoots that give rise to the spears each year eventually become the ferns of the asparagus plant.
- If the asparagus is fresh, then snap the stalks where they bend, otherwise cut.
- He worked hard, raised a family and saved enough money to buy a small asparagus farm of his own.
- The best way to start an asparagus patch is by planting the asparagus crowns or roots.
- Snap the woody ends off the asparagus stalks, rinse them well, and dry them thoroughly with paper towels.
- The pumpkins are flowering, the asparagus is ready to rest.
- Tilling the soil disperses asparagus seeds and encourages quick germination.
- A member of the lily family, asparagus is also related to onions, leeks and garlic.
- It's a good time to plant asparagus in a well-prepared bed.
- To grow good crowns, vigorous seed should be planted in soil that has never grown asparagus.
- You can plant asparagus right in your garden or in the middle of a lawn.
- Hose it down to reduce the salt levels and use as a mulch on plants such as asparagus or add it to the compost heap.
- Perennials, such as artichokes, asparagus and rhubarb are also sold in bare-root form.
- Despite the admirable longevity of an established asparagus bed, the plants get off to a slow start.
- Early spring is the best time to plant asparagus, but late fall is almost as good.
- Asparagus beetles tend to shy away from asparagus when tomatoes, parsley or basil are planted nearby.
- Were he to live in Ireland, damper by far than his Norfolk base, he'd grow lots more asparagus and globe artichokes.
- The perennial raised bed will be their home for the next 20 years or so, and it needed considerable attention to get it ready for the asparagus.
- Does your mouth water when your neighbors harvest their first asparagus while yours is mere shoots?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.