In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The asparagus fern, Asparagus setaceus, is happy to spend its life in a semi-shaded part of the kitchen - just make sure the feathery foliage is misted occasionally, and don't let the compost dry out for long periods.
- It's hard to imagine summer without the hard working asparagus fern that serves as a great filler in pots, window boxes, and baskets.
- Wendy and her greenhouse team may present the season's micro red mustard or delicate asparagus ferns and roots.
- The fungus develops in the tissue of asparagus fern and drains the plant of vital nutrients.
- I have a large one on my desk which is taking care of two peppers, the poorly asparagus fern (don't know what's wrong with it), my little bamboo and the last of the coleus.
- He mixes succulents with plants that have foliage of an entirely different nature, such as asparagus fern, coleus, or curly parsley.
- Jade plants, cactus, English ivy and asparagus ferns are pretty safe bets.
- There's two mini cyclamen, an asparagus fern, and some whose names I can't remember so I'll have to look them up.
- They had been teamed up with an asparagus fern, but it had started to shade them, with the hypoestes leaves becoming less variegated (a natural response to low light levels).
- Other types of aphids, when present in large populations, can also damage tender asparagus fern and reduce yields in succeeding years.
- It's recommended that you never place your terrarium in direct sun; however, plants which enjoy more than just medium light include hen and chicks, jade plants, asparagus ferns, and Venus fly traps.
- By the end of the season, the furrows should be entirely filled in, although the developing asparagus fern should never be buried.
- The choir stalls displayed large bunches of wheat and asparagus ferns, while colour was added by a profusion of dahlias.
- I've waited years for my asparagus fern to look this healthy.
- The poster-calendar features 24 of the most harmful environmental weeds, including wandering jew, camphor laurel, orange jessamine, umbrella tree, asparagus fern and morning glory.
- The Christmas tree is also draped with asparagus fern, giving it a fuzzy, soft focus effect.
- The next design was in a flat dish surrounded by birch twigs, asparagus fern, ostrich feathers and white sisal.
- Asparagus fern tends to occur around towns, particularly near-coastal locations in moist shady gullies.
- Asparagus Fern can smother groundcovers, small shrubs and seedlings, forming a weed monoculture.
- Gardeners should avoid planting all types of asparagus fern.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.