In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(violence)agresión feminineassault and battery — agresión con lesiones
- He admitted a charge of assault causing actual bodily harm.
- He has previous convictions for theft, robbery and assault causing actual bodily harm.
- The father was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm, but was acquitted.
- In that case the appellant had been convicted of assault occasioning actual bodily harm by harassing his female victim.
- The incident is being treated as an assault causing actual bodily harm.
1.2feminine agresión sexualmasculine ataque contra la libertad sexualfeminine violación
- Police described it as a minor physical assault on a juvenile, apparently after some provocation.
- Though the police spared him from physical assault on realising that they had arrested the wrong person, it took him nearly one month to secure his release.
- On every fifth day, an average teacher will be assaulted or witness an assault on staff.
- The attack was the latest assault on the majority Shiite community.
- The sexual assault on two young girls highlighted in a sad and pathetic way that the town is not getting the required resources to tackle what seems to be a constant rise in violence in the area.
- The arrested woman was detained in connection with an allegation of controlling prostitutes for gain and also on suspicion of a violent assault on another woman.
- Any obstruction or physical assault on his person, while discharging his official duties, should be viewed seriously.
- Two vicious crimes, a serious sexual assault and a brutal attack, happened at almost the same time in different parts of town.
- We received a complaint of a sexual assault on a young girl and had to respond with whatever resources were available to us.
- Sexual assault is usually violence at the hands of someone the victim knows.
- The 1999 incident represented the third physical assault on the courageous activist in recent years.
- Less than three weeks later he was reported for a physical assault on a young boy.
- On September 21, 2001 he committed a sexual assault on an unconscious man with a weapon.
- Sexual assault and violence toward women were taboo subjects and under-reported.
- ‘A woman was arrested for an alleged assault on a man,’ a spokesman said.
- Other recent violent attacks include an assault on a couple who asked two boys to switch off their mobile phones during a film.
- Activities such as theft can lead the offenders to worse crimes like homicide and sexual assaults.
- In 1885 corporal punishment was included in section four of the Criminal Law Amendment Act as the penalty for a sexual assault on a girl under thirteen years of age.
- Physical assault on women by intimate partners is recognized widely as a leading cause of injury to women in the United States.
- Others are controlled by threats to themselves and their families back home; and others are coerced through brutal physical and sexual assaults.
2.1Militaryasalto masculineataque masculineto make an assault on sth — atacar algo
- before noun assault craft — barcaza de asalto
- assault troops — tropas de asalto
- A military assault on the country cannot be ruled out - at least in the long term.
- Last week hundreds of these soldiers launched an assault on their own military headquarters.
- In response, the army launched a military assault on the facility in which the men were being held, demolishing parts of the building.
- Both Indian and Pakistan forces found that an assault on well-defended positions was extremely costly.
- Troops also faked attacks before the assault to confuse enemy fighters.
- The player will be presented with a wide array of scenarios, from VIP rescue missions to stealth incursions to full frontal assaults against hordes of enemies.
- As battles raged across the city centre, 15 militants mounted an assault on a police station near the airport.
- Least of all should we cheer-lead a military assault on an already terrified, bloody and starving country.
- On another occasion during his 11-month tour he led three assaults on an enemy position until it finally fell.
- The men moved off in small groups towards their assault positions.
- Frontal assaults were always attempted as a last resort, but they were costly, and their failures eroded political resolve back home.
- The series begins with a ferocious military assault on Israel.
- There is nothing wrong with employing a brigade to conduct a raid or as the assault element of a major encroachment.
- Excessive speed may require that the MICLIC spend more time at the assault position rather than moving quickly forward to fire.
- So can we expect an military assault version of the two-wheeled wonder?
- Owing to the fact that modem operations have an air-land character, combating enemy airborne assault and raid forces is acquiring special urgency.
- He might have escaped when the boats first started the assault on the house.
- The city fell just 21 days after the initial assaults, and military analysts describe the campaign as historic, even brilliant.
- Rockets and automatic fire stream over your head as you try and hold off the assault on your position.
- I began to write a response - from the safety of my nice cosy flat - when the news came through that the military assault had begun.
2.2(onslaught)ataque masculinearremetida feminineassault on sth — ataque a algo
- an assault on Everest — un intento de escalar el Everest
- the firm is preparing for an assault on the market — la empresa se dispone a conquistar el mercado
- These are hectic days for him and the Irish Chamber Orchestra is now primed for a serious assault on the competitive world of concert performances.
- After breakfast, and another sitting, I bundled up and attempted the assault on Marga Point.
1(use violence against)agrediratacar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.