In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ayuda feminineasistencia feminine formalto give assistance to sb — prestarle asistencia a algn formal
- with the assistance of sb/sth — con la ayuda de algn/algo
- assistance in sth/-ing
- your assistance in the search is greatly appreciated — se le agradece enormemente su colaboración en la búsqueda
- he needed some assistance in lifting the boxes — necesitaba ayuda para levantar las cajas
- assistance with sth — ayuda con algo
- The club would appreciate any assistance both on and off the field from the members.
- Pen nodded and with the assistance of the nurse she was able to get out of the bed and into the wheel chair.
- At higher speed, on the open road, the steering receives less power assistance.
- I decided that actually this was one situation where it might be OK to offer assistance.
- May I, through your columns, thank this young farmer for the help and assistance he gave me.
- They tried to resuscitate him and continued to give assistance after paramedics arrived.
- I wish to publicly record my gratitude to those whose support and assistance made this possible.
- If you have three hours a week to help then your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
- A mobile phone was used to summon up assistance, and the next-door keeper turned out to help.
- Additional assistance may also be considered for the most vulnerable patients.
- They are ready to provide immediate assistance from their warehouse in Dubai.
- A man in a boat tries to rescue him, but he declines assistance; God will save him.
- Most of them need assistance in activities such as taking a shower or tying a shoelace.
- Offer him your assistance and give it freely; it's the best investment you can make.
- In an attempt to remain neighbourly I inquired as to her need for assistance.
- We need their assistance in our work in Parliament and in local government.
- I owe many people my thanks for their support and assistance during the preparation of this book.
- Careful regulation of use of this route continues with the full backing and assistance of user groups.
- Donors give to the food bank because they want to help people who need assistance.
- As the people in the area learn of their plight, they offer assistance in various ways.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.