In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Business surtido masculinefeminine colecciónthey have a wide assortment of tools/ties — tienen un amplio surtido / una gran variedad de herramientas/corbatas
- in a wide assortment of colors — en un amplio surtido de colores
- an odd assortment of ornaments — una extraña colección de adornos
- In the tearoom at work there's an assortment of women's magazines lying around.
- This important passage contains at least one blatant lie and a wide assortment of half truths.
- Mr Davenport has lived on the farm, which has an assortment of hens, sheep and geese, for 40 years.
- The collections of college and university art museums are sometimes motley assortments of works of art donated by alumni to their alma mater - uneven collections with glaring gaps.
- It was huge and full of a wide assortment of cars from all ages.
- At the backpackers' bar you could find the usual assortment of international drinkers.
- Noted for our ever popular cheese curds and huge ice-cream cones, we also have one of the finest assortments of home-made cheeses anywhere in the country.
- He has drawn on a wide assortment of evidence and gives us, in the end, a wider picture than perhaps he set out to give.
- It is filled with an assortment of junk including hundreds of nuts and bolts and years' worth of empty wine bottles.
- There was a great response, with a great assortment of entries ranging from the very funny to the very cute!
- Browsers can choose from a wide assortment of goodies, home-made and otherwise.
- The bartender serves beer on a glass-topped counter displaying a wide assortment of ammunition.
- All in all I have acquired information about an unusual assortment of subjects.
- There will also be the usual assortment of raffle and tombola prizes.
- There was an assortment of free drinks on offer and a couple of plates of biscuits.
- No sooner have you sat down than an assortment of dishes is laid before you.
- For dessert, an assortment of tempting baked goods is on display at the counter.
- At the top you could buy an assortment of foods and drinks, all which had been carried up on someone's back.
- There was a wide assortment of delightful buns and cakes, and a great range of healthy fruit juices.
- There are many, many large-flowering varieties available in a wide assortment of colors.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.