In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Apart from testing the eye, they supply booklets detailing eye care with particular reference to refractive errors such as myopia, hypermetropia and astigmatism.
- Amblyopia can also result from a major difference in the refraction between the two eyes, such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism.
- Side vision is distorted and oblique rays of light passing through a spherical lens produce astigmatism.
- It is a surgical treatment for short-sightedness, some forms of long-sightedness and astigmatism and is carried out by ophthalmic surgeons.
- Most refractive surgical procedures were developed to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism.
- Corrective lenses such as contact lenses or glasses can usually correct vision in people with astigmatism.
- Contact lenses can balance the image from both eyes, and correct any irregularities or astigmatism of the eye.
- In fact about 23% of the lenses sold in Australia are sold to correct astigmatism.
- People with astigmatism usually need to wear glasses or contact lenses to correct their vision.
- Toric contact lenses can correct astigmatism for most people.
- The degree of astigmatism should not exceed more than four diopters.
- They aren't as effective in correcting some vision problems, including high degrees of astigmatism, as are rigid lenses.
- In astigmatism, although the eye is perfectly healthy, the cornea is curved more like the surface of an egg, with a steep curve in one meridian and a flatter curve in others.
- The surfaces of the lens or cornea may not be smooth, causing an aberration that results in a streak of distortion called astigmatism.
- For lower amounts of astigmatism, often standard lens designs can be used.
- The glasses do not correct astigmatism, but they are effective against nearsightedness and farsightedness.
- Suitable for most people who need glasses, including those who are short-sighted, long-sighted or have astigmatism, laser eye surgery treatment is quick, easy and affordable.
- In astigmatism, the refractive power of the eye is different in different meridians.
- For pure astigmatism, a lens is required that has no optical power in the normal meridian but has appropriate curvature in the others.
- Whether myopia, hyperopia or astigmatism is present, surgical correction attempts to redirect light rays to accommodate the refractive error.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.