In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Analysis was driven by the requirements of mathematical physics and astronomy.
- He held university chairs in astronomy, physics and mathematics as well as working as an architect.
- In addition to his mathematical work, Talbot also published on astronomy and physics.
- From his works we know that Kushyar was primarily an astronomer who wrote texts on astronomy and geography.
- This is an area of astronomy in which amateurs are able to make vital contributions to our knowledge base.
- An inquiry into the effect of light pollution on astronomy was published last year.
- It was not only in mathematics and astronomy, however, that Newcomb made major contributions.
- One of the hallmarks of his spell as Astronomer Royal is his popularization of astronomy.
- Secondly, astronomy is one of the few sciences in which the amateur can play a really useful role.
- Newton, too, chose to work principally in the more traditional field of planetary astronomy.
- Supernovae are among the most spectacular phenomena known to astronomy.
- Horrocks was educated at Cambridge, where he pursued his passion for astronomy and mathematics.
- Padua was famous for its medical school and while he was there Copernicus studied both medicine and astronomy.
- He studied physics as his main subject but took mathematics, astronomy and chemistry as minor subjects.
- Gergonne was appointed to the chair of astronomy at the University of Montpellier in 1816.
- In 1751 he went to the University of Utrecht to lecture on mathematics and astronomy.
- Topics other than mathematics also interested him, especially physics and astronomy.
- Ancient India is also described as the original home of mathematics, astronomy and medicine.
- Although he studied mathematics and astronomy at Cambridge, he was also interested in biology.
- He made a number of contributions to mathematics, physics and astronomy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.