In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(sportsperson)atleta masculinehe's a born athlete — es muy dotado para los deportes
- Have a good week at work and best of luck to our athletes in the track and field events today!
- Sport is about competing to see who is the best, and athletes have to train hard to reach the top.
- No Chinese athlete had ever won a gold medal in an Olympics track sprint event.
- I'm really looking forward to competing against other athletes from all over the country.
- I have noticed in the last year or two a drop-off in the number of young athletes coming into the sport.
- These are finely tuned athletes who play hard and are extremely proud of what they do.
- With every athlete sprinting for the line, Hannah finished in 15th place to help her team to victory.
- Any halfway competitive track athlete ought to be able to cover that in 20 seconds, tops.
- One of the great things about sport is that it teaches athletes to be persistent and never to give up.
- They don't have to be an Olympic rower or an Olympic athlete to be able to do the sport.
- There is a clear division on campus between athletes and those who have no interest in sport.
- How are we ever going to produce top-class athletes if we leave it to children to take up sports themselves.
- The athletes in some of these cities actually got free meals for the rest of their life.
- The heats of the 400m hurdles should not trouble an athlete of his calibre.
- The aim is not to make the athletes comfortable but to make them champions.
- He was brought up in Trowbridge and was a talented athlete and sportsman at school.
- Keogh beamed as she entered the stadium and finished her race as the lone athlete on the track.
- It is also a chance for young athletes who have qualified for community games finals to have a run.
- They seemed to be natural athletes, and no wonder they dominated the game at that time.
- It was a senior competition and she raced ahead of seasoned athletes to surprise and win.
- At school, Eisenhower proved to be a star athlete, excelling in both baseball and American football.
- I think this is probably not so much about the athletes as it is about us as a society.
- Some of us go to watch professional athletes play at the highest level of sport.
- The track season is now in full swing and already Sligo athletes are shaping up very well.
- Chris Brogan was the only wheelchair athlete to complete the Olympic triathlon distance.
- Big money comes more quickly for athletes in other sports than it does in boxing.
- An athlete testing positive at a major event can continue to compete until a B-sample confirms the finding.
- Most of this money now finds its way into the pockets of players and athletes.
- Pilates teaches body awareness and is popular among athletes and those with sports injuries.
- She showed that she has a very bright future as a field event athlete.
- Secondly, a bunch of athletes started sprinting round the perimeter race track.
- Many local athletes competed in the North East's leading open meeting of the season.
- Although not a natural athlete, he could perform amazing physical feats.
- When such a ban is imposed on the athlete, the coach also receives the same punishment.
- On a sprint day, each athlete races against the clock to gain a qualifying time on the course.
- He now stands as one of the most recognized names in the judo world as both an athlete and a coach.
- He holds the record for the most medals ever won by an athlete in a single Olympic Games.
- He likes his players to be athletes and is always telling us what to eat and drink.
- Holmes set a new British record and ended up as the only Team GB athlete to claim individual track and field gold.
- To the layman, track and field athletes seem to be injured much more frequently than other sportsmen.
- He said it was hard work, and likened it to being an athlete, as exercises in breathing must be done daily.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.