In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Encouraged by his father to take up to athletics, he took to it like a duck taking to water.
- Were ancient athletics useful for preparing young Greek men for the battlefield?
- And after that you have athletics and golf and tennis and whatever you like yourself.
- Having done athletics and played netball the transition to rugby was not difficult.
2British(track and field)atletismo masculine
- Sanchez's dominance of his event is almost unique in the world of athletics.
- It was then that he took up athletics very seriously and also took on the triple jump, which he had not done before.
- As a student in 1936 Andrew went to Berlin to compete at athletics with German medical students.
- Public facilities will include playing fields, an indoor sports arena and an athletics track.
- But it is only thanks to her big brother Marlon, a useful sprinter, that she turned to athletics.
- Did competitors at the world athletics championships receive payment for taking part?
- Jackson ended his wonderful athletics career with a fifth place in the final of the 60m hurdles.
- Bright sunshine and mild temperatures heralded the first athletics competition of the year on Sunday.
- It is not just in athletics that competitors have tried to evade being drug-tested.
- Jarlath Duffy won his award following a very successful year on the athletics track.
- Kelly Holmes last night became only the seventh British woman to win an athletics gold medal at the Olympics.
- Just like the pole vault in athletics, you need the right equipment before you can even see if you have a talent.
- The club caters for all aspects of athletics, track and field, indoor and cross country.
- The other topic that has dogged athletics, as it has so many sports in recent years, is drugs.
- But Moorcroft insisted that there was still an air of optimism in British athletics.
- Alongside football, athletics is probably the sport I know and care most about.
- The report into Australian athletics is expected to be published on Monday.
- Mr Richards was a keen athlete who scooped hundreds of medals in a range of sports from swimming to athletics.
- Fredericks will always be remembered fondly by athletics fans around the world.
- In my commentary I said it was probably the most unpopular win in athletics.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.