In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1atrocidad feminineto commit an atrocity — cometer una atrocidad
- the building is an atrocity — el edificio es una monstruosidad
- Rights advocates say that the number of atrocities against women in the country is increasing.
- Empathy is the missing psychological link in people who commit hate crimes and other atrocities.
- In the old days there was no way of taking photographs of war atrocities and popping them on the net for all to see.
- Have people forgotten who started the war and committed countless atrocities during it?
- The year since the invasion has been marked by further war crimes and atrocities.
- The father of one of the Bali bombing victims spoke yesterday of his anger at the amount of publicity being given to those arrested for the atrocity.
- The effect of an atrocity of such a magnitude on the government and public should never be underestimated.
- Much of the fighting and many atrocities against civilians took place in Bosnia.
- Given that war itself is an atrocity the scene you described in your article still makes a citizen sick with shame and indignation.
- Terrorists responsible for atrocities, mass murderers and child killers will serve their entire lives in jail.
- Some of them also said they had been forced to witness or commit atrocities, including rape and murder.
- And so they became a marginal but prophetic group willing to testify with their lives to the atrocity of war and coercion.
- It was a brave new world recovering from the atrocities and bleakness of war.
- Their endurance in battle soon became as legendary as their involvement in a number of war crimes and atrocities.
- Those responsible for atrocities against the Acehnese should be brought to trial.
- Meat eaters think this is a joke but it's not funny to people who believe it's an atrocity to eat murdered animals.
- The region has been the scene of some of the worst atrocities in the five-year-old civil war in Congo.
- They are forced to commit atrocities against their own families and communities.
- The scale of the atrocity may actually have speeded up the collective urge to absorb the shock and get back to business.
- The entire war is an atrocity, a war crime, launched on the basis of lies.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.